Existing Member?

Tales of a Vagabond My summer as a hobo in Europe.

Spain in a Nutshell

SPAIN | Tuesday, 17 June 2008 | Views [2202] | Comments [2]

Pamplona, home of the Running of the Bulls

Pamplona, home of the Running of the Bulls

Hola! Since fist arriving in Spain, we have traveled throughout the northeast. In Madrid we visited the Prado and Retiro Park, where Chris proposed to Morgan Beggs. She said yes. I ate some pork elbow , and I accidentally found the street of prostitutes while looking for some postcards. We visited the Valley of the Fallen to see the world´s largest cross (490 feet tall) and the grave of the Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. Gas is €1.24 per liter, or about $7.50 per gallon. That explains the abundance of scooters and motorcycles! I´ve seen enough churches and cathedrals to last a lifetime, although today in Barcelona we visited Segrada Familia. It was started in 1882 and still isn´t completed. The designer, Gaudi, was way ahead of his time. Even now it looks so surreal. The buiding reminds me of Willy Wonka´s candy factory. On the way to Barcelona we also hit Segovia, Burgos,  and San Sebastian. In San Sebastian we walked along the beach promenade for a night into town. We saw the site of the Festival of San Fermin and the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona. Devin thought it would be a good idea to come back and run with them. I´ve got some thread and a needle, and I could probably stitch him up with minimal scarring. Just kidding! We´ll be in Scandinavia by then anyway.

I did my first load of ¨laundry¨ in the bathtub. This could be one long, smelly summer! We didn´t have a clothesline, so I improvised by tying some rope to a couple of carabiners and stringing it across the room. It worked out pretty well. The boys have begun calling me Mom since I have assumed the role of caretaker.

We´ve done so much and seen so many culturally relevant things, but I haven´t even begun to explain them all. After the next two days, Devin and I will be on our own and should have more access to internet cafes. I´ll be sure to post often (at least while in Western Europe). In the meantime, I´ll be taking long baths and washing my hair multiple times.

I´m going to attempt to post some pictures, but this internet connection is incredibly slow.

Tags: bilbao, burgos, lordes, madrid, pamplona, pau, san sebastian, segovia, spain, zaragoza

Comments

1

Hey Vagabond girl,
You and Devin could write a book, you have a cool way of describing what you see. So if the gas is 7.50 how much were the prostitutes? I bet you high tailed it out of there without your postcards. The real trip begins today, right? Just think my mom did clothes in the tub on a washboard until her fingers bled (she was anal like me and you)! Love ya, be safe!

  Sharon Jun 19, 2008 5:25 AM

2

katie!!

you are one crazy girl! i hope you are having so much fun! sounds exciting already! i have been slaving away this summer working and working and actually quite a bit of partying lately... sad story i know... well i hope you get some good showers and keep up on your hygiene!! well i hope youre having a blast!! tell devin hello!! miss ya

lindsay

  Lindsay Jun 20, 2008 12:13 AM

About katiekimberling

Segovia

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.