Existing Member?

Kathryn and Charlotte's Australasia Fun! Look at moi! Look at moi!

First week...

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 17 February 2009 | Views [266]

We arrived in Sydney on 31st Jan to 25 degree weather and sun! I'd forgotten what that looked like. My hair frizzed and my feet puffed out like Sherman Klumps but we have arrived. Sydney is a great city - a lot like London. Or is that just the street names that cause a reminder?

Spent our first proper day at Bondi Beach. Not the best place to go when you're peely wally white. Lots of tanned surfers strutting about. The place was mobbed but had a fun vibe to it. Monday was spent snapping lots of pics of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Ross warned me seeing those two familiar landmarks would be the moment it hit me I was in Australia. And it definitely did. It got so hot though we sought refuge in the state library for the rest of the afternoon and then the cinema!

We then took the ferry across to Manly. Seven miles from Sydney but a thousand miles from care...and what a difference! Gorgeous beaches, wharf and surf shops and cafes. I instantly fell in love with the place. Stayed in a ramshackled beach house for a few nights before moving on to flat sit for Lisa and John - a lovely Irish couple I befriended in Thailand last year. Their apartment overlooked the wharf and they were headed to a festival for the weekend so were kind enough to have us stay.

Surreal moment in Manly was when we were walking along the pavement to the beach one morning, when a tanned hunk wearing nothing but board shorts ran (I swear in slow motion) towards us clutching a surfboard and a smile. There's a sight I've never seen running towards me down Sauchiehall Street! We tried body boarding one afternoon which was such a rush. My bikini bottoms of course fell down so I had to clutch my knees together till I got washed ashore to save at least some dignity.

Also visited Palm Beach - beach of Home and Away. A very quiet beach at the end of a long bus route but fun to visit. They weren't filming unfortunately so our dreams of being extras were dashed. The surf club is actually public toilets and a small kiosk run by elderly volunteers.

Recommend any visitors to Manly to go for dinner at Artichoke (BYO and off the beaten track) and just drink smoothies all the time. You can't go wrong.

Currently reading: Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella

Listening to: Kings of Leon...they're everywhere

Dreaming about: My puffy feet

Complaining about: My puffy feet

Missing: family, my ankle boots and Tesco

Loving: my fedora hat, purchased at Bondi Beach

Kathryn

 

About kath_and_kim


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.