Existing Member?

Livin' The Dream Here's to living the dream along side the incredible women at Give A Heart To Africa. I am thankful.

Entry No. 8

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 11 April 2017 | Views [274]

Lake Chala and all its wonders –

Wow.

I could leave it at that and it would pretty much have summed it up –

This place took my breath away.

But just saying that would defeat the purpose of writing an entry, so here's to the wonders of lake chala and the perfect weekend spent in the middle of nowhere.

 

As we drove, from Moshi, down side roads and through villages set along side vast fields of greenery, I found myself getting lost in all that surrounded me (as I often do). It was a Saturday morning, on the 8th of April, and many children were walking along side of the road, on their own. One particular part of the drive stood out to me and I just can’t give it up. There was a grandmother, mother, and her little one (who couldn’t have been more the six years old) working in the field alongside the road – as we drove up the muddy, bumpy road, they stopped in their work and looked up. The little one waved joyfully at us as we approached. When I smiled and waved back, she smiled so big as if it was the brightest thing in her day, causing me to smile bigger.

Next thing you know, we were stopped in the middle of the road, blocked by a large migration of cattle from one side of the road to the other. They trudged, slipping in the puddles as they continued along side the car, engulfing it as though it remained a burden in their trek.

We continued, speeding along back roads, through rich fertile dirt surrounded by lush 'country side'. Estimated arrival time, 1 hour 30 minutes from Moshi.

The unfortunate thing about Lake Chala is that it once thrived– locals and tourists alike would invade its beautiful landscape for the weekend.  Now, since the government entry fee has increased dramatically, tourists typically only visit for the day. Leaving it vacant after sundown. We got to know the older woman who decided to take in the reservation after her son when she retired and she said that she rarely has people camp or stay the night anymore. For those of you who may be traveling to Tanzania in the future, add this to your list.

When we first pulled up to the parking space, we couldn’t see anything behind the mass amount of shrubbery – but maybe they did this for affect? As I walked up the ramp into the oversized hut (made from wood and sturdy bamboo leaves) that sheltered a restaurant, I was floored by all that stood in front of me.  The hut sat on top a ridge, overlooking the entire lake with the view of Kenya on the other side.

The pictures don’t even do it justice.

The rolling ridges covered in overgrown green forest, hugged the majestic crystal blue-green water. The tops of the ridges met the clouds with such grace as they rolled in over the reserve.  The hut was open and airy, with the view as far as the eye could see.

When the others decided to walk down to the lake, I decided to take the opportunity to just sit alone and read a book, with Lake Chala in my sights.

I was completely content.

With a view like that, how can you not be?

While that would’ve been enough for me, I got to see something I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing in a long time – a storm rolling in.

For someone who loves storms, this was super cool to be able to see.

To watch the majestic, calm water be moved and shifted by the force of wind, pushing it towards the hut as the storm rolled off Kenya’s mountains – the clouds growing larger and darker in color as they moved closer, before it brought the rain in all its swift intensity remains a vivid image in my memory.  

When night fell, I watched the sun’s reflection set over the water as it created a golden glow over the ridges. Sounds of birds and monkeys echoed in the background.

We (the other GHTA volunteers and myself) remained the only visitors in the whole place that night. We were able to laugh as loud and play music with no fear of disrupting any other life around us.

We were the only ones listening.

We sat out on the brim of the hut, looking out into the vast darkness as we talked of life, careers (or lack there of), the idea of home and where we have come from – as we rang in Camilla’s 25th birthday at midnight.

The next morning, I anticipated waking up for the sunrise. Though, to be truthful, I decided not to because I only had been able to catch up on a couple hours of sleep. Though, when I woke up at 8:00 that morning and walked along the path back towards the hut, all that surrounded me remained still.

I was the only one awake.

As I sat in the chair over looking the lake, in stillness, while the rest of the campsite was waking up, I became overwhelmed in the feeling of being thankful. Thankful to not only be able to see this beautiful sight and experience this opportunity as a whole (to live the dream I set out for when I was 18), but for also being healthy – After a bit of a Gardia scare, I am now in the process of recovering back to my self again. Something I might have otherwise taken for granted.  

 

Here's to a reminder - Without sounding cliché, all that you experience holds a blessing of some kind, the key is to find it.

Here's to living these last two weeks here, fully.

And every day after.

 

About katedunlevy

Margaret, our wonderful cook. She's done so much to create a better life for her and her son and I admire her for that.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.