Existing Member?

Odyssey number 2?

Buses, Baños and bodgy bloody calculators

ECUADOR | Monday, 26 July 2010 | Views [885]

We left Mancora on a beautiful sunny afternoon (boo) and hopped a stifling sweaty bus to the Ecuadorean border; destination: Baños. The bus we subsequently nicknamed 'the disco bus' (neon strip lighting and groovy 80's psychadelic designs) we were assured was going to be 15 hours and direct. 2 changes later we found ourselves being dropped at an abandoned service station at 4am in a small town that was somewhere between wherethehellami and Imabouttogetrobbed to wait for a local bus to Baños. The small group of local men standing across the road (reason unknown) watched with amusement I'm sure as we waited nervously for a local bus while trying to apper cool calm and collected...¨ah no I didn´t just hastily stuff my wallet and passport in my underwear I´ve just got an itch ok?¨ Luckily a bus arrived after 20 minutes and we hopped aboard wallets and passports intact.

Baños is a lovely small town nestled in the foothills of the Tungurahua volcano, which has been fairly active since 1999. There was an eruption in 2006 that killed seven people and destroyed several small villages and in May 2010 the town was evacuated again after a small eruption. Small eruption it appears refers to the fact no one was killed but the eruptive column coming form the mouth of the volcano was still apparently 10km high. We thought it best not to share this information with Mum and Dad prior to our visit (sorry Mum; love you) as while it's not currently safe to go to the foot of the volcano or climb it the Volcano has been quiet since May. The town was near to deserted of tourists so we took advantage of our subsequent barganing power and decided to hire some cheap dune buggy's for a few hours. Cruising around town and into the foothills in a bright yellow dune buggy is a bloody cool way to spend a day. Whilst they handled like a rusty old tractor we managed to successfully negotiate the traffic. On the return trip driving my buggy solo, foot flat to the floor going through a long tunnel with no lights and vehicles coming towards you (and spraying water all over you) is an interesting experience!

The next day we decided to head up to a Mirador to get a good look at the town and hopefully glimpse the Volcano. Caz and BP decided to share a fairly small quad bike; I opted for a motorbike. The hills were very steep and the quad bike was only about 100cc´s so I left them to limp to the top while I had a fantastic ride up the hill. We had a beautiful birds eye view of the town and surrounding hills, but unfortunately it was too cloudy to see the volcano. We headed back down to town, with myself again in front I stopped at one point on the main road to wait for them to catch up. The sight I saw coming up the road nearly caused me to fall off my bike I was laughing so hard. Caz and Brenadan on a bright yellow minature quad bike, knees up around their chins fanging along the road with a GIANT truck right behind them trying to pass and a line of cars stretching behind. Anyone who has seen the movie dumber and dumber when they are riding up the mountain with lines of trucks and cars behind them will get the drift. If I wasn´t struggling to keep my bike upright I may have managed to take a photo dang nab it.

After two days in Baños we headed to Quito, the capital of Ecuador. We were not panning to stay long in Quito as it is fast becoming one of South America´s most dangerous cities. Robbery is rife and many a traveller has had a near miss or been done in Quito. We stayed at a nice hostel calle the Secret garden which had a fantastic roof top terrace which overlooked the city. At night the terrqace would become a restaurant and bar and we had many a glass of red sitting around the open fire watching the city lights and illuminated cathedrals. It was interesting that the smell of the open fire had me homesick for the first time in a long time. At the start of the trip I quite often missed home; friends, family and creature comforts (a good bed, a good shower, speaking English and vegetables!). As the trip has progressed I have begun to miss home less and less as I’ve become accustomed to my new reality. I realised how far I had come from those first few weeks when I was in Mancora and feeling like absolute death and at no point did the thought ´I wish I was home´ cross my mind.

We headed into the city centre on our first day and checked some of the local cathedrals and museums. We went into the Campania de Jesus which is a famous church in South America, largely due to the fact that the walls of the enormous church are guilded in seven tonnes of gold. The Church was absolutley breath taking. Every surface was gilded or intricately carved, the walls were covered in ten foot high oil paintings. It was an incredible experience. I am not a religious person but to sit in that Cathedral and hear softly playing classical music, smell the ancient wood and to be surrounded by those extraordinary walls, domes and celings it is hard not to feel the presence of something not of this world. It was quite a moving experience.

Quito was a very sketchy town and we met and heard stories of many a traveller being held up and sometimes hurt. We didn’t venture too far at night as a result, but also because the bar at the hostel was cruisy and we didn’t feel the need. On the morning we were leaving I headed down to the ATM at 9am to withdraw some cash. The ATM was a 10 minute walk and I intentionally waited until 9am in the hope shops would be open and people on the streets. Unfortunately this was not the case and I had a fairly nervy walk back with hundreds of US dollars in my bra meeting shady character after shady character on every corner. I luckily spotted two gringos ahead of me and caught up with them and walked behind them back to the hostel (anyone who knows Hamish and Andy will understand when I say I’m sure they thought I was ghosting them lol).

I was considering staying in Ecuador longer or heading back to Mancora to work for a little while. I looked into volunteering opportunites in Ecuador but the only farm work available was ´woofing´ which is an organisation that organises volanteering on organic farms. After meeting quite a few dreadlocked unfrotunately rather twatty hippies on this trip I decided perhaps woofing was not for me. I finally decided against Mancora as as much I would have loved to be based there for two weeks working (and becoming a surfing pro), I didn’t really want to go backwards. I decided to press on into Colombia and see what I might find there.

We got was was touted as a 5 hour bus to a little town called Tulcan, on the border of Colombia. Some English boys we had met in Quito, Sam and Michael were also on the bus. Ecuadorean buses are really dodgy. People getting on and off, standing and sitting in aisles, they are more like public collectivos than long haul buses. Vendors get on and try and sell you a variety of foods and souvenirs, cross words and suitcases and at times after being in an uncomfortable seat for a few hours it becomes bloody annoying. At one point on the trip a man came on who apperared to be working for the company. He grabbed my day pack and said I’ll out this up here ok? (indicating to the rack above my head). I firmly told him no and kept it firmly between my feet as I always do. Five minutes later Caz yelled at me from the back of the bus to watch my stuff as Brendan had just had his jacket stolen and a friend of the ´helper´had just been underneath Caz´s seat trying to get into her bag. Naturally before they really realised what was really happening the guys were off the bus and gone. The bus driver naturally couldn’t care less and when asked why he let people on the bus who didn’t have tickets a simple shrug of the shoulders was the only response.

About an hour from Tulcan there was a large, fatal accident (about the 4th majopr truck accident we’ve seen on the trip so far) and we were delayed for quite a while. We arrived at the border to find a room full of people waiting and were thrilled to learn that their systems were down so no one was getting exit stamps. When asked the question why not manually stamp the passports we were advised because there is no stamp. What !%#&?/* idiot does not have a passport stamp at a border crossing? We were assured someone had gone to get a stamp. Four hours later the crowd had grown considerably (100+ people) and people were getting cranky. We knew that the Colombian border closed at 10pm and it was 9pm and we had no exit stamp. They finally came out and told us to come back tomorrow. Fabulous.

We headed into town with Michael and Sam, found a cheap hotel and had dinner and a couple of beers, which was a suprisingly good end to a shitty day. The next morning we arrived at the immigration office at 6.30am to find a queue of about 200 people. Apparently in Ecuador finding a passport stamp involves mind boggling complexities that rival a NASA space shuttle launch. We worked out that the border had been closed for about 15 hours by that point in which time I could have bloody run to the Peruvian border and borrowed theirs.

The crowd of South Americans in the long line outside (some of whom had stayed overight we assume) were starting to become decidedly displeased. We were lucky enough to have made it inside but outside we were starting to hear chanting and yelling and everytime the outside door was opended to let someone out there was a lot of pushing and shoving. The poor security guys on the door were not having an easy time of it. 5 hours later some bright spark finally got their computers working and I got my exit stamp (took 30 seconds) and headed to the colombian border at Ipiales (which I passed through in about 15 minutes). I exchanged US dollars for Colombian Pesos at the border and was totally scammed. The guy I was changing with gave me a good rate so I went ahead. I took the calculator from him and did the sums myself. I handed over the cash and did the exchange. 5 minutes later when my foggy, tired brain cleared and I mentally did the calculations again I realised I had been duped. The bastard had a bloody rigged calculator (which I’ve since learned is quite common) and I had lost about $35 US dollars in the exchange. I will not fill you in on the range of expletatives that were released from my mouth and the mad dash to try and find the bastard. I tracked down who I though I had changed with and he naturally claimed he had never seen me before. Insert expletative here. Exclamation mark.

So in total what was supposed to be a 5 hour trip to the border and then a 20 hour bus to Bogota ended up taking us 44 hours and costing us a lot more than anticiapted (jacket, dollars, sanity). The upside is we met some great people who we hope to catch up with in London and had another memorable experience.

We arrived in Bogota 30 minutes before the start of the world cup final and made a mad dash to a local pub to watch a disappointing game. The weather wasn't great and I think after the tough ride to Bogota energy levels were low and we consequently layed pretty low. We headed out one day to the Botero Art gallery where we saw work by Picasso, Damas, Chagall, Renoir, Monet and of course many many Botero (who Caz despised). Bogota felt a little sketchy and we didn’t venture far at night. The hostel was a nice place with a decent bar area and we met some good people. We headed out to the Gold museum the following day and saw ancient incan relics and learnt about the traditional methods of forging the metals which was really interesting. We ended up only staying two nights before heading out to the coffee region that afternoon.

Phew 3 pages! There are about a zillion cranky backpackers waiting for the computers so I better leave it here and fill you in on the coffee region later. Adios amigos!

About kate2501


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.