Existing Member?

Travel Essays

Reading may do me in yet~ Fava beans and pecorino

ITALY | Tuesday, 11 May 2010 | Views [454]

If anyone has read Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes, as have all the women I have met and liked during this trip to Italy, then you will know about fava beans and pecorino. Having read this and planning to be in Tuscany in the springtime I naturally wanted to try this, despite never having seen a live fava bean before, nor had the perfect pecorino knowing very  little about all the cheese that exist in the world, except that I would like to try them all.

So my rainy last morning in Florence started with an early trip to the central market and the adjoining tent fruit/veg market. I had already scoped out the day before a formaggio story that had the prominent sign Fave e Pecorino and asked for around 2 euro worth. Then I picked up 1.5 euro worth of toscana salami about 7 thin slices, and proceeded to look for the elusive fava bean. Having asked the lady behind the veggie stall if these could be eaten raw through various sign language and expressive facial contortions I picked out three. They are about the thickness of my middle finger and as long as my hand from middle finger to wrist, and as it turns out very light. She was like "no, no at least half kilo or kilo" so I was like how many could that be I have a huge chunk of pecorino anyway. Now I am the proud owner of a half bag (1\2 kilo of fava beans.........hahahaha.

Well at least I will be eating healthy in Venice, if I don't drown first.

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.