Existing Member?

Travel Essays

Travel Planning...

USA | Friday, 30 April 2010 | Views [337]

Travel is a great way to expand your horizens and a better way to learn your limitations. The iceland volcano seems to have taken it upon itself to remind humankind in general and me in particular what arrogance it was to think that every aspect of travel and life is under one's control. The intense travel planning has caused me extreme highs and lows, unbelieveable frustrations and moments of almost trancendental acceptance.

My day during the past couple of weeks have been about 30% devoted to practicing my "sane, rational human being" voice over the phone with countless phone reps. Still, being forced to deal with rescheduling is really nothing in comparison to the unfortunate who have had to camp out at the airport, so I do count my blessings and send out many good thoughts to those that haven't gone postal on their airlines.

Is it strange that the prospect of spending time in countries where I do not speak nor understand the language seems both a welcome respite while remaining somewhat frightening? As much as I love the written word, I have a tendency to apply scrutiny to its interpretation, a trait which unfortunately extends to the the spoken variation at times. Unfortunate, considering what little consideration goes into the application of the latter.

So I continue my year of officially being a nomad with apologies to friends I do not call or contact often enough. You are all often in my thoughts and well wishes.

Tags: language, travel planning, volcanic ash

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.