Existing Member?

Another Adventure

Reflecting on Myself

ECUADOR | Saturday, 4 January 2014 | Views [629] | Comments [1]

This week, we’ve been talking a lot about identity, stereotypes, and what it really means to communicate. Phrases that I’d heard for all of my life are actively taking on new meanings as I am starting to tie real experiences to these textbook ideas.

As I’m reading through all of my past blogs I can’t help but see certain themes evolving. The family, indigenous culture, and my stereotypes seem to be the frontrunners. I have to ask myself, why do I notice these things? Do they really matter in the grand scheme of things? To be honest, I think it’s fairly easy to answer my own questions. Why do I notice these differences? Because they’re important. Do they matter? Of course!

One of the main things we’ve been focusing on is identity. In class, our professor asked us the question: “who are you?” The whole class had a really hard time answering this question. Student, athlete, American, and Christian were a few answers, and a few of us identified with sister, brother, or family member. In Ecuador that seems like family is something that is central to their identity. It is in this way that they answer that question of “who are you?” Looking back, it’s all so clear. On New Years Eve, all of the guests but one were part of the family. When we come home from class, Angelica and Juan are always together, or talking to their parents. The kids live at home well past eighteen and the idea of us doing our own chores in our own houses back in the States made our host mom cringe. Many of our classmates have had almost identical experiences. It’s quite amazing to see how the lives of most Ecuadorian people revolve around their families. The idea is so refreshing!

Another thing that I’ve been noting a lot of is the indigenous presence not only in the villages, but in all of the big towns as well. You see an expensive shirt next to weaved baskets. You see people doing indigenous dances outside the new Cathedral. There’s a part of the indigenous heritage that people here in Ecuador just seem to identify with, even in the midst of globalization. It’s also interesting to watch my family, as I’ve mentioned before. Right now, I’m living in a house nicer than mine, watching movies in English, in Ecuador. I think this perfectly displays the consequences of all of the change over time. From the Incas to the Spanish, Ecuador has become a country with a small, but growing world presence. It’s funny that our host family so heavily embraces their Ecuadorian culture, yet can’t wait to get out.

Lastly, looking back I see the strong presence of ethnocentrism. Without even realizing it, I have developed this sense that the United States is superior in all ways to almost all countries. I’ve enforced stereotypes of the Ecuadorian people, while still trying to live my American life. I’ve realized now, that this way will get me nowhere. Many times it’s actually necessary to step back and take a look at the world as a whole, as equal. Being a minority is hard. Using our incident at the park as an example, having people stare at me all the time, not being able to speak Spanish well, and constantly being called out on the street is tiring. It makes you feel like there’s something wrong with you, like you don’t belong. This experience will go with me forever and make me consider how I treat others.

Through these experiences, I’ve gained a strong sense of understanding. From the Andes to the Sea: Intercultural Communications in Ecuador is truly living up to its name. Not only have I gotten to travel throughout the mountains and to the sea, but I’ve also learned what it means to be a world citizen. I’ve learned the true definition of intercultural communications.

Tags: family, globalization, indigenous, no hablo español, stereotypes

Comments

1

Wow, some great self-reflection, Kaitlyn. I appreciate your recognition of the stereotypes of ethnocentrism. Being mindful of these cognitive practices can change our experiences in a positive way!

  Marianne Jan 7, 2014 5:36 AM

About kaitlynhennessy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.