Existing Member?

Another Adventure

Creepy Old Men

ECUADOR | Saturday, 4 January 2014 | Views [1938] | Comments [1]

After three days in Cuenca, it feels like home. Our legs have stopped aching from the 40-minute walk to school and we can almost breathe normally with the altitude. Actually, to be honest, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to breathe normally here! I’m sorry I’ve been falling so far behind on this blog. It’s really crazy that we’ve already been here for over a week. Sometimes it feels like it has only been one day, and other times I feel like I’ve been here for a month. The days go fast and we’re learning so much!

CEDEI has been keeping us busy. We’ve been to three museums, all which had historical indigenous artifacts, toured the center of Cuenca, and even had dance lessons. Believe it or not, I can actually do the merengue without looking like too much of a dork! One of my favorite things so far was the lecture by one of the Ecuadorian professors. She spoke about affect immigration and migration is having on middle-school aged students. It was a very interesting lecture and gave a different perspective than we’re used to. The lecture put a pit in my stomach and new thoughts in my head. It made me question what I know about the subject created a desire within me to seek out answers.

After class each day we have a bit of time to go to the markets, get ice cream with our classmates, or just enjoy how the temperature will not be a raw -15 F on Monday. It’s really interesting to see the continual presence of the indigenous people here in Cuenca. They told us that the people in the markets commute from Otavalo to Cuenca everyday. That’s crazy! Oh, I have another crazy story for you. After our dance class yesterday, Christine, Kelsey and I went to the central park. Since it was a beautiful and sunny 60 degrees, we obviously kept our shorts on despite CEDEI’s warnings not to wear them. We figured it would be fine while we observed. Unfortunately, instead of observing, we were the ones being observed. After people stared at us for a good fifteen minutes and some old Ecuadorian guys took a picture with us, we decided it was time to change. Enduring catcalls and air-kisses the whole two blocks back to CEDEI, we decided that we’d never wear shorts in public again.

Later that night, we decided to go out for some drinks. It was so nice to be able to relax and be a normal (legal!) kid. When Christine and I returned home in a taxi, she went to bed and I joined Angelica and her friend Francisco for a movie. Despite the small language barrier, it was so much fun to be part of their banter and participate in normal life.

So, here we are on January 4, 2014. I have finished my application for the Rome semester, researched Ecuadorian healthcare, written a blog, and gone zip lining in the mountains. Oh yes, you heard me right. I went zip lining in the mountains! Although I’m generally afraid of heights, I really enjoyed the challenge and most of all, the thrill. Getting to enjoy all of God’s beauty was the highlight of my day. When we got back we ate a wonderful meal with soup, rice, chicken, and something made of corn (a traditional Ecuadorian meal). And our host dad is so funny; he insists on having Christmas music on during every meal. So great!

I think I’m going to miss this family when we leave. They are so caring, and thoughtful, and fun. Juan went back to school in Mexico yesterday, and you can already feel something missing. It’s so cool to see how much they value family and time together. It makes me miss my family at home!

Well, minus the cows in the street after lunch, I’d say it’s been a pretty normal day. I’m going to go write a paper now. Happy Sunday Eve!

Tags: cows, creepy old men, museums, tours, zip line

Comments

1

I wish you would have asked the questions related to immigration during the lecture! We could have all learned from the discussions surrounding your questions.

  Marianne Jan 7, 2014 5:33 AM

About kaitlynhennessy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.