Existing Member?

Kaitie & Caroline's Epic Journey of Super Awesomeness!

Koh Lanta ...Paradise! Oh Yea!

THAILAND | Tuesday, 2 February 2010 | Views [454]

 So we decided Koh Phi Phi was a tad too much for us, so left after only a few nights. We heard great things about this island called Koh Lanta (which we originally thought sounded super boring in our Lonely Planet book) and decided we had some time to kill, so why not check it out? Best. Idea. Ever. We set up shop at Lanta Emerald Resort, in a cute bungalow, which was MONSTEROUS compared to our shitbox of a room in Phi Phi! We actually had windows!...Although they didn't open, as there was air conditioning. But being the cheap bums we are, we negotiated our room rate down to almost half price since we were staying so long, and agreed to not have air conditioning. This meant they took the remote control away. Kaitie and Caroline are too clever for their own good! Apparently Thai people didn't consider what monster giants us Canadians are! Caroline was able to jump up and hit the ON switch, giving us air conditioning when needed. Sneaky sneaky!

As you all know us very well, lets talk about food. It was soooooo good! Thank god! Pretty sure we gained 10 pounds on that island!They have magical ice cream cones that are like drumsticks, and the ice cream is literally like frozen icing from those McCain cakes!...dangerous.

We met our favorite person in the whole world on that island! His name is Toffee, and if only we could bring him with us, we would! We originally thought he was a tourist, as we met him while laying in a hammock in the beach bar, smoking *something*, just kinda lazing around. We eventually found out that he in fact owned the beach bar! He was the best entertainment any of us guests could ask for. Our nights consisted of Toffee playing accoustic guitar songs ad-libing lyrics about randoms walking along the beach, playing connect four..jenga...all that fun stuff! Repeatidly used the sayings "Oh Yea", and "See you, When you See Me". He is a Koh Lanta legend. We even lit a few of those neat fire lanterns that float into the sky (after panicking the first time we saw one way up in the sky, and asked one of the guys what the fireball was. We were certain the apocolypse was near)

We decided on when of our last days there to get an oil massage on the beach during sunset. Super romantic. It was awesome! About $8 for an hour. Best money ever spent! It was all fun and games, until near the end, when kaitie's masseuse decided to start cracking things! She swung Kaitie around like a rag doll, cracking her back, neck, ..toes?! The best occurred when she flipped Kaitie backwards, on top of her, and rolled her so her back cracked. Crazy little Thai lady!  Luckily, Caroline's avoided some of the awkward swinging and cracking, as we know Caroline is fragile and things may have ended up dislocated!

Koh Lanta was super relaxing, with our beautiful pool, but also full of unwelcomed guests! We had to chase our fair share of lizards and cockroaches out of the room (aka caroline swept out the cockroaches while kaitie hid and screamed like a little weiner). We also found a super fun black snake on the pathway one night when walking back to our bungalow. Never have two people run in the opposite direction faster. Caroline is still recovering.

All in all, Koh Lanta was a nice relaxing addition to the trip! We got a bit stir crazy by the end of the week, but very glad we ended up visiting!

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.