Existing Member?

Kaitie & Caroline's Epic Journey of Super Awesomeness!

Railay Beach! Home of the Death Trek?

THAILAND | Tuesday, 2 February 2010 | Views [1946]

So we went to Railay for a few days after Koh Lanta for yet another gorgeous beach! We took a ferry, just like all our other island hopping adventures. After sitting on the ferry for a while, we looked out the window and commented on this beautiful beach outside! Too bad we weren't going there! ...The boat begins to slow down. Huh? We go up to the deck to see what's going on...surprise, surprise, we're here! But wait, where's the dock? Unlike all other islands, there was no dock. We were hoarded with our huge bags into a longboat boat and driven into the shore of the beach. Let us say, it was not a wise idea to wear our hiking boots and socks this time. Against our choice, we got to try out the waterproof capabilities of our boots! We had to jump out of the boat and walk through the water, carrying all of our stuff, and onto the sandy beach.(FYI, boots aren't waterproof when you are up to your knees in water).  As cheap ass backpackers, we had to continue hiking down some weird dirt pathways (with random monkeys?) to the far side of the island where the cheap places to stay were. We luckily found an awesome bungalow, relatively cheap, on a resort with a sweet swimming pool! (All thanks to Toffee's great recommendation!) The bungalow was great! Provided a nice breeze to do some laundry (thank god), and even had our own pet! A MASSIVE lizard (Iguana) that was on our roof. He woke us up one night with some seriously awkward calls?

We went exploring the next day and decided we would try and find this magical lagoon that was on the maps. We hiked it to the other side of the island, and into these little cave areas. We finally found the spot for the lagoon. *Insert Death Music*. It was up a 30 minute climb of death, of 85 degree slant where you pull yourself up using a rope. THEN, once at that area, you take ANOTHER 30ish minute climb up a wall that is apparently "super tricky". The looks of the first climb seemed tricky enough for us! Knowing our horrible luck, and deciding we wanted to still be alive to keep traveling, we went up 10 feet, looked at eachother, laughed, said HELL NO! and climbed back down. The lagoon will remain a myth to us, like Big foot or the Loch Ness Monster.

We went into one cave, called Diamond Cave, which was super cool. You walked right inside on of the limestone mountains, and they had a walkway built through it. We were very happy for find Batman's lair. We will continue our Batman adventures, hopefully finding Batman himself eventually (aka George Clooney on his yacht in Italy?)

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.