Existing Member?

Kaitie & Caroline's Epic Journey of Super Awesomeness!

Ko Phi Phi ...Cancun of Thailand

THAILAND | Saturday, 23 January 2010 | Views [809] | Comments [6]

So after taking a lovely ferry ride over to the island of Ko Phi Phi we had no place to stay we had to carry our "way too heavy" backpacks around town looking for any place to stay (for cheap) that would take our sweaty asses in. After finding the Oasis II (coincidence that we stayed in the Oasis in Cancun lol) we settled into our first disgusting hostel!! Two beds with one kind of broken a window that went into the noisy hallway not outside (pointless i know) with shared bathrooms for everyone staying in the hostel to use...shower flip flops never left our feet. Not quite the paradise we were expecting from Ko Phi Phi!

The first day there we pretty much dropped our bags off at the lovely Oasis and headed straight for the beach which was quite beautiful with high cliffs surrounding the cove and the beach lined with a young party crowd. When the tide went out you could walk for 100s of metres out and still have the water only go up to your knees.

So after deciding to take the night off and have a nice dinner and a movie we gave in to our own peer pressure with the help of Chang (beer) and experienced the famous Ko Phi Phi bucket of booze and crazy night life!. As you walk around the little village with your bucket of booze in hand you stumble across many bars that slowly funnel the crowd to the beach for crazy fire shows including: fire jump rope, fire limbo, and crazy fire dudes who fling fire everywhere lol) We kept our distance as our bucket was still full. WIth three beach bars to hop between the night was in full force

The next day, little later start that anticipated, we went to the beach again for the day where we soaked up all the rays our canadian white skin could handle. After 5 hours in the direct sun light we had the great idea to go check out the viewpoin which was up on one of the many cliffs. Two kilometers straight up a flight of stairs (the stair master of death) we barely reached the top (please note the attire selected for this treck was flip flops and sun dresses with our day backpacks full of water= idiots i know). The altitude and heat started to get to us as we mistaked a monkey who jumped out at us for a cat although triple the size of cat lol Although quite the journey up the view was goregeous and we were glad we did it as we had lots of pizza and beer the night before...

The next day we splurged ($15) for a boat cruise that took us around Ko Phi Phi and the many islands and beaches it has to offer from 10am till sunset! In each area we had time to get into the water and go snorkelling with the hundreds of fishies. Luckily our first stop, called "Shark Bay" did not live up to its name. Apparently we were two hours late to see them. Needless to say kaitie and caroline were not disappointed to keep all limbs in tact. We went to "the beach" you know the beach from the movie The Beach. Although extermely beautiful it was also a huge let down due to the high traffic of tourists coming in and out of the area. Our favourite stop was on bamboo island as it was surrounded with white sandy beaches and crystal blue water. After cruizing around all day listening to some tunes, eating yummy food, and snorkelling we made our way back to Ko Phi Phi while watching a beautiful sunset (romantic lol).

We fast tracked Ko Phi Phi as it was too much for us to handle if we want to last the next 7 months however were fully satisfied with the activities we were able to accomplish.

stay tuned to hear about our favourite place thus far...

Comments

1

What is this about 7 months!!!!!!!!!! 6 is long enough, remember where you live!!! ha ha miss you tons and luvs to you both!!!
Mom & Felix xxxxoooo

  MOM Jan 24, 2010 5:51 AM

2

Really enjoy reading about your experiences. I am sooo jealous..sounds amazing!Next time we will climb the Great Wall in sun dresses and flip flops!! LOL..have fun and stay safe..miss ya..hugs xoxoxo Pam and Dad

  pam and Dad Jan 24, 2010 9:18 AM

3

Enjoyng your "progress reports" do you plan on continuing your journey or spending the next 6 months on the beach? Hugs and kisses to you both.

love,
Mom and Dad

  mom and dad Jan 25, 2010 3:37 PM

4

haha oh i remember that viewpoint well... my legs still hurt??

your adventures are awesome! loving the blog! :)

  Emma Feb 1, 2010 11:59 PM

5

Hey, getting worried you have not updated blog..where are you guys?

  pam and Dad Feb 2, 2010 10:47 AM

6

Sorry! We're ok! Just seriously slacking on the blog writing! We'll get back on it i swear!!!! xoxo!

  kaitieandcaroline Feb 2, 2010 5:22 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.