Existing Member?

Kiwi Trail My travails doesn't require a companion but I got one anyway!

Famous Janes

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 12 January 2008 | Views [435]

Killing Tree

Killing Tree

Cambodia’s landscape echoes a chilling past. The rural flat country with its rustic paved roads played a roll in one of the worse genocides in the history of the world. Think about it, if you were a victim where would you run? Where would you hide?  There are no mountains or dense patches of forest that could have aided victims in their escape.

The story goes like this: Once upon a time a guy named Pol Pot visited Communist China and became so inspired by Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution that he came up with his own non compos mentis, that is, a set of mentally incompetent ideas for an agrarian utopia.

Then in 1969 Pol Pot became ousted from Cambodia but with the military assistance from the Democratic kingpin of the world, The United States of America, the Cambodian Hitler returned and thus began the Khmer Rouge and their mass genocide from 1975 to 1979: Millions of Cambodians were forced into labor camps known as the “Killing Fields” and many were killed at gunpoint. According to my wonderful Geography teacher from community college, Pol Pot was so fixated on creating an agrarian society that he executed lawyers, teachers, Buddhist monks, former government officials, police, doctors, wealthy people and anyone who was suspected of being smart. So if you wore glasses, you were a dead man.

A quarter of the Cambodian population died as a result of the Khmer Rouge regime, that’s two million deaths!

Today the “Killing Fields” where the Khmer Rouge practiced genocide is a horrifying tourist attraction. Piles of skulls and bones frame the place. Signs like “Killing Tree Against Which Executioners Beat Children” make it a dead silent observation pit stop. I watched the 1984 film, “The Killing Fields” before visiting and for that reason, the only thing I heard that afternoon as I walked through the site were the helpless cries of innocent kids.

Another tragedy was the mass execution that occurred in the Tuol Sleng School where people were tortured into giving false confessions. Today that school still stands; it’s another tour stop in Phom Penh one that I hesitated to visit. Inside, the walls are covered with the black and white portraits of the twenty thousand terrified and hopeless victims.

My Canadian friend who I’ve been traveling with for the past two weeks asked me, “How could they kill that many people in four years?”

I said, “I don’t know, guns?”

Not so fast Jane. Cambodia is a round and flat country; the poor victims probably had nowhere to hide. If you look at the country today, it’s still flat for miles. Actually, from a traveler’s point of view Cambodia’s landscape makes it an ideal place for wanderlust souls to carve out their own adventure. As long as you don’t step outside the paved roads, you probably won’t stumble on anything more than a turtle or a rock. Step outside of the roads and a land mine may blow you up into smithereens.

I explained this to my Canadian friend and later that evening at dinner, he announced that he would be renting a motorcycle. He said that instead of taking the usual bus or boat to voyage the mother of all temples, Angkor Watt; he would drive there instead! That’s a 184-mile trip. Now that is what you call going off the beaten road! Or taking the road less traveled, Robert Frost, etcetera, etcetera.

I asked him, “Is the seat big enough for two people?”

Hint, hint.

He said, “Uh the motorcycle I was looking at is sort of small and it’s probably not safe for girls anyway.”

I felt like he just pulled the rug from under my feet. Does he not know whom he was talking to? Does he not know that he just insulted the great Jungle Jane? Does he not know that few females are given this name due to its association with craziness? e.g. Mary Jane, Calamity Jane, Jane Goodall.

Then you have your actresses: Jane Krakowski, actress from 30 Rock; Jane Kaczmarek from Malcom in the Middle and Jane Lynch from Glee.

Ouch, ouch. This shouldn’t hurt. I’ll show him! I don’t know how to drive a motorcycle but that doesn’t mean that I can’t learn. The only thing that I can drive on two wheels is a bicycle. That’s right a bicycle. That is actually not a bad idea.

 

Disclaimer: The settings on my camera were off and stamped the photo with the wrong date

About junglejane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.