Existing Member?

Kiwi Trail My travails doesn't require a companion but I got one anyway!

U Turn

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 2 January 2007 | Views [545]

Location: South East Costa Rica

Destination: San Jose, Costa Rica

I checked my back pocket, I checked the front pocket of my backpack then shoved my hands inside all five-pocket jeans for the third time—it’s not there, my passport! I emerged from the back seat of the bus and yelled, “Para el autobús!” Stop the bus!                                                                            

Panic set in, my mind raced, where? Where could it be and why? Why now? After being careful for 60 days and guarding my passport like a Giga pet. How could I lose it the day before my flight back to Los Angeles?

“It must’ve fallen out of my back pocket at our last bathroom stop,” I told the chauffer. Our last bathroom stop wasn’t far, just a couple of miles from the border town Paso Canoas. 

The chauffer looked empathetic but really—standing in front of a bus with more than 30 passengers—what could he do? Back track? Of course not! Instead, he suggested that I go to the US embassy in San Jose to report that my passport got lost. But I was optimistic and wanted to run back to the tiny, smelly, narrow bathroom stall. My passport was probably lying behind a toilet soaked in urine but I didn’t care! When I told the chauffer to drop me off, the passengers began to whisper among themselves. I felt a petite woman stare up at me, when I caught her gaze her chin tilted and her eyebrows burrowed against her forehead. She kissed her daughter.

The chauffer refunded half my bus fare and dropped me off on the most desolated turf of the Pan-American Highway. He wished me luck and told me to be careful.

I ditched the bus and the first thing I did was that I stood in place with my hands planted on my hips. I stared at the cows grazing in the meadow in front of me. I stared at them for a good five minutes and created a mantra: Cows graze in the south, trees grow in the north; forget where you are and you may be toast. 

I recited this a few times and began to walk east and rose my thumb out whenever I saw a car, a truck or another bus heading east. It didn’t take long before two big sturdy men stopped in their red pickup truck.

¿A donde vas?

I said, “I’m going to the nearest bathroom stop, it’s on route to Paso Canoas.”

The driver gestured me to hop onto the truck bed and I did.

I’m sure that it was a scenic ride. The weather was already humid and warm so having the wind rush against my face was a gift and I would’ve enjoyed it had it not been for my passport.

A thousand what ifs ran through my mind. What if someone finds my passport and sells it? Passports can be worth a fortune. I met a couple from Montana who extended their vacation after they had sold their passports for a few hundred dollars.

What if I don’t find it at all? Oh the horror! I met a woman in Tegucigalpa, Honduras who couldn’t leave the country for two weeks because she had lost her passport. Two weeks? I had to be in New Zealand in five days! At least that woman xeroxed her passport, I didn’t. It’s the first rule in the book: make copies of your passport and important documents or better yet, scan them and email them to yourself that way you won’t have to rely on holding it in your backpack which itself can be lost or stolen.

I tried to enjoy the ride for a minute, I tried to focus on the cows grazing the meadow, and I tried to live the present by feeling my hair unravel from my sticky, greasy forehead. But unlike other times where I had found myself in similar situations that felt impulsive, risky and euphorically brazen, all I could think about in that very moment was my passport.

It wasn’t the first time that I hitchhiked but it was the first time that I hitchhiked alone. I was sitting on the truck bed with four crates of hens: one crate per hen. They looked so happy that even PETA would have nothing to protest about. No wonder chicken taste good in Costa Rica (or anywhere else but the US for that matter), those hens were enjoying a bountiful release of endorphins before going into the fryer.

After 20 or 30 some minutes, the red pick truck stopped next to a restroom to let me out. I thanked the guy and offered him a tip but he waived it off and pulled away. 

I made a pact with God and it went like this: If someone finds my passport I will reward this person with $5 which, in Costa Rica is really like $10 or $12. I’ll probably read this journal years later and call myself a tacaña, a stingy goat. But Jane, you didn’t have enough cash left in your hands, you still had to buy another bus ticket and you hadn’t seen an ATM for miles.

I ran into the tiny, smelly, narrow bathroom stall and nothing! I walked back out feeling lightheaded. The stumpy lady who had been passing out wads of toilet paper for change asked me what happened, I said, “Mi passaporte!” 

The lady said: ¿Oh erés Ha-ne? 

Are you Ha-ne?* 

She pronounced my English name in Spanish by replacing the English "j" sound with Spanish which sounds like "ha". Then, she drew out a flimsy, navy blue passport and pointed to my name. It was me alright and I threw my arms around her. Sí, sí, sí! Ay dios mío. Someone found my passport!

Gracias, mil gracias señora. I said, “A thousand thanks!" I was so happy that I wanted to cry. I reached for the five dollars which I had ready in my back pocket. I offered it to her but she genuinely did not want to accept it, yet, I hugged one of her hands between both of my palms and told her about my deal with God. She would have to accept it and with that, I placed the small note in her hand. 

Bueno, como usted mandeshe said. If you say so.

I then asked her about the chances of me getting a ride to San Jose and she looked past me at the long white bus pulling in. Everybody immediately swarmed to the bus like a colony of red ants. The lady answered my question and said:

—Es muy difícil a ésta hora—

It’s very hard.

Tags: costa rica, lost passport, san jose

About junglejane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.