Existing Member?

Intercontinental adventurer

Perth

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 22 February 2008 | Views [1890]

Ok, I’ll come clean! Embarking on a trip around the world hot on the heels of a business trip to the Middle East and London was a total fluke! More so, a round-the-world ticket is a dream come true for me – “like little boy learning about big people’s world” kind of dream. Cuan, my best (guy) friend, asked me to be his Best Man, and of course I agreed… to a wedding in Perth. I wracked my brain for 3 days when looking at flight prices, and then struck gold – a round-the-world ticket would get me to Perth and to several other places I’ve always wanted to visit… and for less than a return ticket from South Africa! As for the business trip: they asked and I accepted. The timing was marvelous!

Which is how I come to be in Perth. I’m writing this several weeks into my time here. I’ve done some sightseeing, but the focus has rightly been on the bridal couple. But since they’re now on honeymoon, leaving me to housesit for just under 3 weeks, I can finally catch up on my blog posting… all 3-month’s worth. :D

Perth, renowned for being the most isolated city in the world (and noticeably so), is the capital of Western Australia. While stretching quite a wide area, Perth is largely suburban (residential) with wide roads and slow driving (the speed limit in all Australia is 120km/h and is well-enforced). Perth’s CBD is really quite small, but the port of Freemantle on the south bank of the Swan River helps to give you the impression of metropolis substance.

When coming to Perth, you’ll find it quite relaxing and quiet. There are suburban hotspots (like Joondalup) where business, local government, and entertainment nuclei make for more convenient shopping and work-life. But Perth is geared towards taking it easy! Much like Bahrain, the locals are used to soaring temperatures with little rain for months, complaining of it being “coldish” when the mercury drops into the 20s Celcius!

Perth is definitely home of the sun worshiper, which is not surprising since most of it banks a river or the great Indian Ocean. Beautiful beaches (some even designated for dog use), lush green (and well-maintained) parks literally at every corner, and the bright sunshine help Australians to ignore the UV threat and explore the outdoors with topless zeal. Students here are not only taught swimming, but snorkeling, scuba diving, and even sailing during PE classes!

What I also like about Perth is that it’s very easy to raise a family here. Ok, I’m years away from taking this advise personally, but this is how I categorise Perth. I find the focus on safety and regulation quite comforting. Kings Park, several beaches, the aquarium, Perth Zoo and Rottnest Island are all fantastic tourist spots, but more so worlds of wonder for kids. Note though that you’ll need to plan around buying a house and a vehicle should you want to relocate to Perth, because unlike places like London, sharing accommodation or single-person renting isn’t really an option. Public transport is readily available and good, but because Perth CBD is the only real hub, travelling between suburbs without a car is unfeasible.

Australians are fantastic people too. Pop a beer around the barbeque and you'll soon find your social network growing.

Tags: kings park, perth, rottnest island, western australia

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.