Existing Member?

Intercontinental adventurer

Singapore

SINGAPORE | Monday, 26 May 2008 | Views [937]

For those less-informed out there, Singapore is a true city state, an economic powerhouse, and also an island country off the south coast of Malaysia. Originally a British colony for the purpose of international trade and shipping stopover, Singapore hasn’t lost any of its history, and today it’s the largest cargo port (in raw tonnage) in the world! Using the wealth generated by this industry, Singapore of today is way more than a shipping port, it’s also a fantastic place to be, and for me, a place I may even consider calling home!

I only had three days in Singapore, but boy was I busy! I found myself dumbstruck at how clean everything was, how efficient public transportation is run, and also how naturally beautiful the island was. I’ve heard the term “garden city” before, but I didn’t know what that actually meant until I visited Singapore. The entire city is like it was built in the middle of a rain forest, so green and alive everything seemed. It rains twice a day, and the rest of the time it’s humid, so it’s a good climate for all things green... or if you sell airconditioners :D.

But if you’re not into the ecotourism thing, the Singapore is also one heck of a shopping mecca, making Canal Walk and V&A look like Pep Stores and BP OneStop! International brands, too many for me to even recognise, all have stores in the city. But if brand names don’t float your boat, then you’ll be dumbstruck and the number of markets and factory outlets, not to mention the “made by hand” stalls everywhere you turn. There are 3 malls devoted sole to computers, camera and sound equipment – think about that: 4 floors of IT heaven... and there’s 3 of them! All this during the Great Singapore Sale, a country-wide 2-month sale in all stores!

Needless to say, I stayed far away from such distractions, choosing rather to spend my Rands touring the city instead of its malls. I will definitely be back, and next time I’ll have Pounds, so it’ll be a whole other story next time around! :D

Being a very cosmopolitan city, there are attractions and cuisines for all tastes. And after all that fish in Thailand, this is just what I was after! But after 3 days of pure sight-seeing exhilaration, I toasted goodbye to Singapore, thanking it for a fantastic time, in the only way you can... with a Singapore Slinger!

Tags: singapore, singapore slinger

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.