Existing Member?

Julija Livewell Photography

berlin wall and amsterdam canals

GERMANY | Friday, 9 December 2016 | Views [432]

The highlight of the last summer summer was visiting both Berlin and Amsterdam in five days! My friend Dovile and I have been planning this trip for a few months as it was supposed to be 'a journey of the first times', which all of them were completed by the end:}

She has some relatives in Berlin who were more than happy to give us a warm bed and other things we needed to make ourselves comfortable. As they work in Lithuanian's embassy, we had to do some stuff over there. And the rest was only free time which helped us to enjoy Germany's capital! The city itself was just incredible, looking as it was built for youth - street art, bars, cafes, restaurants, small streets, architecture, Berlin wall - everything had the great vibes. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy local people that much or let's say that local people did not enjoy our visit in Germany. The kindest guy we met and have been talking the whole evening was a bartender from Scotland who had his very first shift in the bar and have been living in a country for 8 months without speaking German!
 
After two days in Berlin, we put our backpacks on, embraced ourselves and went on the road to hitchhike towards Amsterdam. It was really competitive day - there were so many hitchhikers going to the same direction! Spending two hours in the sun and asking people in the petrol station if they are travelling towards Holland, we found two guys who gave us a ride for more than 6 hours while we get off only few kilometres away from Netherlands. After we stopped an old Polish truck driver, then with two French girls (who actually started their journey from the same spot in Berlina as we did) reached Holland, while being only few hours away from Amsterdam. Unfortunately it was getting dark already and as we weren’t in the petrol station, no one was stopping their cars so we decided to walk to the nearest one. The police car stopped us after half an hour as they were no petrol stations in the area. As a policeman guided us to walk towards the train station, which was an hour away, we stopped a car, took a train to Amsterdam and finally reached our destination, both tired and both filled with adventurous day.
 
Exploring streets of Amsterdam was not a new thing to us as we both have visited the city before but it’s always so amazing! It’s a must to get lost in between those romantic canals and tiny streets, try as many beers as possible in different bars and connect with the locals! 
 
Getting back to those first times, both of us hitchhiked abroad for the first time, stayed in the hostel with the strangers (our strangers were too strange so we don’t have any fascinating experience of it) and try staying with someone we’ve found on Couchsurfing!

 

 

Tags: amsterdam, berlin, berlinwall, canals, germany, hitchhiking, holland, netherlands, travelling

About julijalivewell

I really doubt it

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.