Existing Member?

juliep2

Parliament

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 23 June 2007 | Views [265]

Friday, June 22. Today began with a tour of Parliament. We were able to see the House of Lords and the House of Commons, which are both in the Parliament. Inside the buildings it was gorgous!!! There was so much gold that was used it was amazing. We had a guided tour, which we were all very greatful for because of all the information we were able to learn. We were told the exact path that the Queen walks when so goes there, but she is only at Parliament once a year. We weren't able to take pictures inside so I will try to explain some of the significant things. On one side there is the House of Lords and on the other is the House of Commons. In the House of Lords everything is red. All of the seats and cushions and extra wall decor. In the House of Commons everything is green. When we walked through, all of the seats and benches were open as though you could sit there, but there was a very strict rule that you were not able to sit on them.   All together our tour guide was funny, intertaining, and very informative. 

After the tour I had my very first Indian food. I loved the Indian food, it was so good!!! It may be my new favorite obsession. :) The only problem with it being by obsession is that it was quite expensive; it cost 40 pounds for 4 people...so $80 for lunch for 4 people and we probably order too little of food. :( well for now I will save for my next Indian food adventure.

Next was class. Our last class until our presentations and papers are due (july 27). In class we talked about the history of Jews in England. Did you know in 1290 all of the Jews were given 90 days to get out of England or convert to Christianity. wierd huh? Anyways, after class the roomies (Alex and Kati) and I went to the grocery store again.

Tonight we made mexican food. A little taste of home. We made taco meat, rice, and beans so we could have burritos. They were really good... but quite expensive, everything all together cost about $20 (US), but it did feed all three of us.

After dinner I got a phone call from David. I was able to talk to him for almost 40 minutes tonight. I loved every minute of it. His unit will be moving to Iraq really soon (I'm guessing Sat. or Sun). His is doing really good, but is hating the heat!

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.