Existing Member?

juliep2

British Museum & Evening Tour

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 22 June 2007 | Views [303]

Thursday, June 21. Classes were again this morning. Discussing everything from history to Parliment to British authors. After class Alex and I headed to Salsbury (the big grocery store). This is the biggest grocery store near us and it's about the size of Fry's or Albertsons, which is just normal for us, but HUGE for London. We spent almost all of our lunch break there. We only gave ourselves 30 minutes to run home, eat, and get to class. (Just so you know, the grocery store and class are right by each other and it takes about 15 minutes to walk each way.) We were running down the streets and carrying all of our groceries and eating all at the same time. We were a funny sight to see. But we made it back to class about 1minute early.

For this portion of class, we went to the British Museum. By this point I had taken in too much history and couldn't really enjoy it, but I tried to make the best of it. I plan on going back before the summer is over.

After the British Museum a group of girls headed over to Founders Arms for dinner. It was a complicated trip because we had to use the bus system, which nobody knew how to work. Although half the group ended up getting off at a different stop, we all made it to the pub safe and sound. Our teacher for the Major British Writer's class met our whole group at the Founder's Arm pub where we all had a drink together. I was so happy, I had my favorite drink, Baileys Latte! (it was really really good and I needed the caffine.) After the one drink we all headed out for our evening walking tour.

On this walking tour we saw where the original Globe Theater was and where the Rose Theater, which was the 1st theater on the Surry side of London (south of the river). We also saw where Charles Dickenson and Shakespeare went for a pint on a regular basis. We would have stayed to have another drink but it was really packed. We also saw a grave yard that was just discovered. This grave yard supposedly was for the Winchester Geese. They were women who were prostitues that were ran by the Bishop. When these prostitutes died they were not given a proper funeral, they were just thrown into a hole and covered up. Recently they tore down a building and under the ground they found bones that belonged to thousands of women, and this is probably the location of where Winchester Geese were barried.

Anyways, it was a really fun day. Tons of walking and history, but we all had a great day!

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.