Existing Member?

j girl adventures A collection of adventures to be shared. As I embark on my 2+ month stint in Malaysia and Indonesia trekking around and volunteering at an orangutan and sunbear rehabilitation center.

April 13, 2011

INDONESIA | Thursday, 14 April 2011 | Views [310] | Comments [1]

Good Morning

Waking up on my first day was certainly rough. The anti-malarial medication is going to take some getting used to. Breakfast is nice and early at 7:30. Around 8:30 we headed down to the clinic. This is the area where we do most of work. Surrounding the clinic are seven orangutan islands. There are only 3-4 orangs on each island. They were all very curious about us and stopped what they were doing to keep close watch over what we were doing.

After our introductions we headed back to the clinic and learned how to make enrichment. We package their snacks in such a way that it is fun and challenging for them to get their snacks. (Maybe Nick should try this at home with me and cupcakes. If it's too challenging, no cupcake for me!)

Then we were off to lunch. I was supposed to have a tour of the sunbear sanctuary after lunch but I was so exhausted I took a long nap instead. Recovering from this jetlag has been such a pain in the butt.

The food here is pretty great. Rice and all sorts of interesting vegetables.

All the volunteers hung out together at night time. I really could not have been luckier. All the women are super awesome and so much fun to be with. It has really helped with the loneliness.

Comments

1

Don't be lonely! We are here, just very far away... Glad you found some good peeps there too :)

  Jaclyn Apr 17, 2011 3:24 PM

About juliaschmidt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.