Existing Member?

j girl adventures A collection of adventures to be shared. As I embark on my 2+ month stint in Malaysia and Indonesia trekking around and volunteering at an orangutan and sunbear rehabilitation center.

April 14, 2011

INDONESIA | Thursday, 14 April 2011 | Views [316] | Comments [1]

Yay! Samboja!

Today was an awesome day. We learned all sorts of different food enrichment techniques.

I started with making happy sacks. We take a piece of burlap sack and put in sunflower seeds, peanuts, jam, fresh ginger, raisins and fruit flavoring. Then we sew them up really tight.

Next we peeled bananas which were then pureed with other fruit. We had hollow plastic balls that we injected with the fruit juice to later be frozen.

There was one other type of enrichment which was super messy. The burlap sacks were tied into knots. We then dipped them in a mixture of flour, water and fruit flavoring and then hung them up to dry. The dry rock hard and it's very challenging for the orangs to open them.

Afternoon called for another nap. I am almost adjusted.

The evening was super fun and relaxing. The sounds of the jungle at night is awesome. It's super loud. We also have to watch for wild boar when we are by our rooms. I am pretty sure I heard their snorting earlier in the night.

I miss everyone terribly but I can't believe what an awesome adventure I am on!

Comments

1

I love this word "enrichment." I'm gonna start calling all my food that.

  Jaclyn Apr 17, 2011 3:28 PM

About juliaschmidt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.