Existing Member?

j girl adventures A collection of adventures to be shared. As I embark on my 2+ month stint in Malaysia and Indonesia trekking around and volunteering at an orangutan and sunbear rehabilitation center.

April 12, 2011

INDONESIA | Thursday, 14 April 2011 | Views [394] | Comments [1]

Leaving KL

I was very excited and sad to be leaving KL. The driver I met a few days earlier arrived to pick me up. I left in a horrible thunder storm. A little scary on the highway. When I arrived at the airport I was very dismayed to find out I had to pay a $100 surcharge because my luggage was too heavy. It originally was going to be around $200 but I gave the man my sad face and he reduced it in half!!!!

Stopover in Jakarta

I had a 2 1/2 hour layover in Jakarta. I stopped off in a cafe and there was only one chair left.  The man I shared the table with was super cool. Originally from the Czech Republic, he now lives in Finland. He works for some oil company. Funny thing is I was on my way to save the forests from destruction and he was on his way to destroy them!!!

Finally in Borneo!!!!

I landed in Borneo with a total pit in my stomach. The words 'what did I do?' kept floating in my head.  I got off the plane to walk towards the baggage area thinking this is my home for the next 6 weeks.

I came out with my luggage and was immediately harassed by taxi drivers. Yet another man came up to me and I tried to brush him off. But he said are you Julia Schmidt? It was the driver from Samboja.  He brought me over to a young girl whose name is Hesty.  She is the volunteer coordinator and from Borneo. We had two hours to kill while we waited for the 4 other volunteers to arrive.

We all sat down at a cafe and Hesty started filling me in on the program and how everything is going to work. I became more and more excited as she talked. I couldn't believe I was actually going to do this.

The four other girls arrived and it was time for the party to begin. I immediately felt comfortable with the girls. There is a pretty amazing group here.

We finally got to our lodge at nightfall.  Words cannot describe how beautiful it is here.  I still have to take pictures of the lodge. When you see them you will understand.

The very first night and immediately there is a bright orange spider is my room. Did I mention that it is HUGE. Oh dear.

I couldn't wait to wake up in the morning and see the place in the sunlight.

 

Comments

1

You are so amazing - I'm so glad you're documenting your adventures!

  Kristy Apr 14, 2011 11:13 PM

About juliaschmidt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.