Existing Member?

Lost in a big world

Barossa

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 13 February 2009 | Views [1031]

Before driving up to the Barossa, I did a tour of Heighs chocolates in Adelaide. The chocolate was quite good, and I was ready for some wine. Sadly, I had trouble getting out of town. The signs were terrible and the roads were not straight. Imagine that you were in calfornia, and you wanted to drive north to Santa Barbara, you came to a highway and it gave you the choice of calabasas and encino. Not LA and San Francisco. Not north and South. Just 2 small local towns. Well those are the road signs in South Australia. Eventually, I found my way and first went to Grennock Creek winery, which was closed since they had completely sold out 2 months earlier. After 2 more stops, I went to my hostel, Doubles' D'Vine, which was a very nice place with two rooms, in a vineyard (they used to use the house to house seasonal pickers when they owned the vineyard). After an early lunch I had 1 more winery stop, then went back to the hostel for a nap. For dinner the women who ran the hostel suggested I go to this pub in Angston, where I had a bad meal. It turns out that there was a weekly (free entry) texas hold-em poker tournament there. I was too late to sign up, so I went over to see what was happening and soon I was drafted into the game (about 30 people). Three hours later, I had all the chips, and had won $50 worth of gift certificates to eat the bad pub food at this pub. The funniest moment was when we were 6 handed and I had about 2/3 of the chips in play. The player on my left goes all in blind, a call on my right and as dealer I call with a suited Q8 (to increase the odds that we knock out LHO). RHO and I keeping checking it down until finally the board is an unsuited 76543. I bet. One of the players who was not playing that hand starts lecturing me on strategy ("you don't want to bet here since you want to knock out the all in guy"). The tournament host responds "you know, look at his chip stack, he just may know what he is doing". Anyway, RHO folds after a long thought (what the hell was he thinking about? Only 98 or an 8x matter.). And LHO, who had gone all in blind, well he had a 98! Now that was funny. That evening, I got back to the hostel about 11:30, and there were 2 narrow posts in the driveway. I don't have great depth perception to my left (everything is opposite in Australia from the US, so the driver sits on the right side, etc.), and I dented the passenger side door on the wood post turning into the driveway. Shit. The next day I visited a couple of wineries in the morning, and then rented a bike in the afternoon, and visited 3 more wineries. At the last one (Kaesler, which was 100 meters up the road from my hostel), there were two guys from my hostel (one was a chef from Germany) who were getting a private tour and a barrel sample of their top wine (Old Bastard). I got to smell it (amazing!), but they would not let me taste it. Pure torture. :( The area was pretty flat and so good for biking. That evening I went back to the pub, had another bad meal with my poker winnings. The next day I went back their for lunch on my way out of town. I got ill from that meal. I think I lost at poker....

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.