Existing Member?

Lost in a big world

Adelaide

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 11 February 2009 | Views [1559] | Comments [1]

I flew from Perth to Adelaide and took a shuttle to my hostel. Adelaide seemed quite empty. There were nice wide streets. There were parks. There were not many people. But it seemed like a nice town. After checking into a pretty good hostel (and cheaper than perth) I went to Chinatown for dinner. And wow, what a dinner. Ying Chow! They make a form of Guanddong cooking, and there is a symphony of flavours  in their dishes and large portions and main courses are about  US$6. They also had a great wine list (also cheap), and corkage is $2Aus (=1.40) if you bring your own.

The next day I went exploring after making reservations for a hostel in the Barossa. Well almost. I was cut off on the phone, and was told I had no minutes left. After lots of yelling I finally discovered that when I bought my phone it did not come automatically with the minutes I had paid for, but instead there was a code on the receipt (which I no longer had) and I needed to dial some number and type in that code to get my minu8tes. I had been operating on the 5 minutes that comes complimentary with my phone. Well this was all news to me, and the store I bought my minutes from was back in Perth, so I had to repurchase a code with more minutes to get my phone to work. Oy.

After wondering around Adelaide for the morning, I took a trolley to Adelaide's beach. It really was a pretty nice beach, and the main street had lots of shops (along the lines of the Jersey shore or Venice beach). That evening I came back to the city and went to the Adelaide Casino, were I had very bad luck at Poker and lost about $80.

The next day I picked up a rental car and drove down to the Florieau Peninsula. And what I day I had. First I went to McLaren Vale, one of the many great wine regions near Adelaide. I visited a few wineries and then went to the coast  (5 miles away) for some mediocre snorkelling.  I then drove to the southern end of the peninsula, near the ferry to kangaroo island, and took a short walk past some kangaroos. I then drove to Victor Harbour and walked across a causeway  to Granite Island, a lovely little Island with good views, nice rock formations (guess what kind of rock) and some animals. I saw quite a few dolphins swimming off the shore, but it was getting chilly, and the fairy penguins do not come on to land until after sunset (9 PM!), so I didn't stick around to see the penguins. Instead I drove back to Adelaide and went back to Ying Chow. My meal this time was even better than the last! Wow. I have to say, that Ying Chow is in the top 50 restaurants I have ever been to (probably in my top 25), and everything else on the list is at least twice as expensive (actually most are more like 5-10 times as expensive). So if you ever go to Adelaide, visit Ying  Chow (on Goucher St). 

Comments

1

I'm guessing... Granite rock! Yayy!!

  Morissa Sher Feb 12, 2009 12:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.