Existing Member?

My Adventures

I've been adopted, kind of

USA | Friday, 24 October 2014 | Views [321]

So I decided to go stay with the mexican family I met while touring in the Sierra Gorda.  They have been very generous and hospitalbe.  They own some local businesses and are involved in politics.  Two interesting experiences I had are hiking into a little pueblo with David, who owns a construction firm.  They are building ecological toilets for the eight families who lives there, subsistence farming.  It was a muddy two hour hike each way, with donkeys carrying the toilets and other supplies.  Two of his employees, both named Alberto, went with us and are going to stay there for the next two weeks until finished.  The mexican version of Casey Afflect lives in the pueblo. Sounded just like him with a Mexican accent, hilarious. The other adventure was with a woman named Gloria, David's sister.  One of their friends is running for mayor of the town they live in and Gloria was the intermediary between him and a man in the military who is the most important person for security in the area.  they don't have the narco problems here because the police and officials are more honest.  It was held at this man's COMPOUND, complete with high tech security cameras, large trucks, completely walled in and camo netting.  It didn't seem to be a military base though but a private trucking company.  There was a movie poster from Scarface in the office where we met, not kidding. I could understand that they were talking about bringing a military base here if he gets elected as the military man knows the secretary of defense apparently.  It was a bit surreal and felt kind of like a movie scene.  Earlier in the day we went to a luncheon for donors to the local school.  I met the commandante of the federal police.  Other than that, I got montezuma's revenge again.  Not too bad this time but annoying...

About jrdenola


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.