Existing Member?

My Adventures

The beginning

USA | Monday, 20 October 2014 | Views [362]

So far the trip is going well overall.  At times, there have been moments of great beauty and excitement and oh my god what the hell am I doing here moments, and I want to go home moments.  I was nervous when I first got here but after almost a week really off the beaten path I feel comfortable.  I am not on the gringo trail at this point having been in two small towns where it is obvious that I am the only foreigner and I´m forced to speak Spanish.  Overall, I really haven´t spoken much English except for one day when I hung out with a Czech guy at Teotihuacan.  People tell me that my Spanish is good gramatically.  It´s frustrating have such a small vocabulary though.  Mexican people are really friendly and I have been invited to stay at the home of one woman I met and an entire family that took me along with them today to Las Posas and an entire afternoon of sightseeing and dinner.  I met them through a shopkeeper where I bought a cheap plate and a knife so I could eat food not prepared in restaurants, beacuse I am trying to save some money having spent a lot on tours of the Franciscan missions over the last few days.  The shopkeep basically invited me back to his store for breakfast this morning and his whole family was there, visiting from out of town.  They were so generous and friendly.  I´m thinking about going to stay with them at their home for a few days.  Nothing like Spanish immersion to inprove my language skills.  I do not miss Salt Lake at all at this point.  I´ve done a ton of stuff so far and am going to slow down some so I don´t burn myself out.  The hotel I am staying at right now is the cheapest in town at 150 pesos which is about 11.50$.  It´s not nice but clean enough.  With dinner I bought at the grocery store last night the entire days expenditures were less than 20$.  Mexico City is a crazy place as well.  I went to the Mexican pro wresting, an american football game at the university where I think I learned every dirty word in the Spanish language.  american football is quite popular here.  There are a ton of murals and cool art in Mexico City as well as great architecture.  I will post some photos but the terminal i am at right now doesn´t accept SD cards.  Signing off now...

About jrdenola


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.