Existing Member?

My Adventures

Real de Catorce

MEXICO | Monday, 27 October 2014 | Views [360] | Comments [1]

im in a little town that is a throwback to the mining days.  You have to go through a tunnel to get here that is through the mountain.  It's about a mile and a half long.  It was pretty crowded with mostly Mexican tourists.  My hotel had really hot water and was affordable which was nice.  Had another interesting encounter with a local last night.  I went to this bar after getting into town late and this guy gets up from his seat and comes over to me and starts talking.  Turns out this is the first time he has spoken English in a conversation with anyone and he learned it all from movies.  He spoke really well even and understood when I was speaking at a pace I would speak with a nactive speaker.  He bought me a few shots of tequila and a few beers and again invited me to stay with him in Monterrey which is the third largest city in Mexico but I don't think I'm going any father north at this point and it is a ways from here.  This place is what you might think of as a stereotypical Mexican desert town and they shot a few movies here, one with Brad Pitt.  I went for a hike today to the ruins of a small town and it was a great view.  I'll put a picture up if the app to upload photos from my phone ever works.  Enjoying myself despite the fact that I'm spending a lot of time alone.  Moving on tomorrow or the next day and planning on going to Tequila...

Comments

1

Hi James
It's great to hear how you're getting on. By the end of your adventure, your Spanish will be amazing. You seem to have met a few lovely people, which always helps. And nice that you're off the beaten path a bit.
Hope you continue to enjoy it, and continue to let us know how you're getting on. Photos are always good.
V

  Vicki Oct 27, 2014 10:17 PM

About jrdenola


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.