Existing Member?

Summer Adventure

Last Kenya Journal

KENYA | Saturday, 14 June 2014 | Views [477]

For the past two days I've been on a tour. The first day we went to a slum named KCC. We walked through the slum and then visited with a group of ladies that started a women's group there that promotes women empowerment. The ladies also make jewelry to raise money for their organization and community. We also visited a preschool that a past volunteer initiated. We helped in the kitchen, and we played with the children. We went on to a refugee camp that was caused by the 2008 election upset. We walked through the camp and we were shown the inside of the tents that the families are living in. The conditions were horrible. I'm posting pictures so everyone can see. We were told that the people aren't able to get good jobs because they are so far, and some children die because their parents can't afford to send them to the hospital. So, I'm planning to make a donation I help with medical fees. After the tour of the "houses" and a preschool that was built on the grounds by last volunteers, we handed out flour to all of the families. A common food here is Ungali (that's spelled wrong), which is just hot water and flour. So the amount of flour we handed out will last each family for a couple days. We handed out clothes as well, and then we played with the children for an hour or so. I loved this part of the tour because I was actually doing something productive instead of just taking pictures and documenting everything I experienced. I was able to talk to the head teacher at the school there also which was great. I hurt wanted to know how there greatest need and how I would go about helping with it. She was really nice, and I could tell she was grateful just for the fact that we were there and interested in what they were going through. That night we stayed at a place that was converted from prison to a hotel. So weird I know... But it was actually really nice and I was so glad to take a hot shower and sleep in a soft bed. That was the best sleep I've had since I've been here. The first night we stayed in a volunteer house that the organization in volunteering with sponsors. I didn't like it because there was TV and everyone just sat there watching Bridesmaids. I was like I could do this at home... So that reconfirmed for me that I made the right choice to volunteer in the village.

Today we went to a place called HellsGate and it was hell! The nice part was that it was a nature park. There were gazelles, zebras, giraffes, and warthogs. We rode bikes to a gorge that we hiked, but the bikes were HORRIBLE!!! I lost count of how many times I fell off my bike because it was so tall and heavy and raggedy.

I'm back in Nairobi now so I'm able to post this journal :) I'll post again in 2 weeks :)

About joytranae


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.