Existing Member?

The world and beyond - reflections of a dharma nomad

View from an Indian train

FRANCE | Sunday, 6 February 2011 | Views [329]


I am writing from our 2AC  carriage ( two comfy bunks with sheets, blanket and a pillow provided) on the Bhubaneshwar Express, heading east towards the Orissan coast.   The journey is scheduled to take 17 hours (only two hours late so far)  and could be quite comfortable but with 12 people occupying the space 'intended' for 4 I am struggling to relax!   I managed to protect my berth overnight despite a number of people sitting on my feet. There is a family of five in 2 beds opposite and three in berth above and now two extra women have appeared for breakfast. A great lesson in how Western and Indian ideas of personal space are totally different. Also you have to book months in advance to get a berth in the holiday season, so families just share the generous sized beds.
So now I am trying not to be tired and grumpy, writing this while plugged in to music, gazing out yellowed window at new landscape, slightly hilly with a few trees (unlike Bihar which was virtually deforested)
We are heading for a remote monastery up in the Eastern Ghats for the next stop in our pilgrimage. No trains reserved beyond that as they already seem to be fully booked...

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.