Existing Member?

The world and beyond - reflections of a dharma nomad

Happy Barthday

INDIA | Wednesday, 12 December 2007 | Views [1215] | Comments [1]

After the holy mountain we went exploring the local hotsprings which were heaving with Indian men in their underpants.  Three of our group instantly disappeared but I had set my heart on a birthday bath, and was feeling in need of a freshen up as well.  So clutching my one remaining buddy I was bullied into a little changing shed by a 'priest'  Immediately five other people barged in as well- arguing with said priest who pulled us out and found another shed.  I got Adrienne to firmly guard the door as I got into togs with t-shirt and sarong - appropriate protection for the situation I hoped.  Then out into the throng where I observed the locals pushing to get under the water spouting from a crocodile's mouth.  So I gamely pushed in and was rewarded by a peaceful moment under the hot stream.  Enough for me - I was ready to escape, but no - the 'priest' had other ideas - "no no madam down here" and that was when I saw the true hell of an Indian resort on a Sunday.  A square pool of gray looking water packed full of brown bodies - all male that I could see.  I remember standing at the top, clinging to Adrienne and saying "No way am I going down there"  And then I was at the bottom and there was literally no space for me to step into the water, but the priest hit some people out of the way and there I was squatting in the pond with water being poured over my head, and suddenly the world stopped and the experience of water was everything.  Free flow for an instant.  A quick glimpse of the lakshmi goddess in the corner and I was out again, being told "you give what you like 100, 200.." I managed to persuade him that I needed to get back to my friend and bag if I was going to tip him at all, and the inevitable scene followed when what I gave was not enough. However it was a truly magical experience and despite many peaceful memories of quiet, spacious hot springs in NZ this mad crazy pool was quite the best!!!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

sorry

  vinesh Jan 19, 2008 3:41 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.