Existing Member?

The world and beyond - reflections of a dharma nomad

La crotte de chien!

FRANCE | Thursday, 6 November 2008 | Views [654]

Beware the streets are full of it. Sadly you have to keep your eyes down when walking amidst the beauty of Paris, due to the number of chic doggies who also walk the streets and use them as a toilet.  So I asked my French teacher about this strange anomaly - How come people who care so much about appearance can live with so much dogshit? She seemed to think that les chics simply didn't want to pick it up!  C'est la vie!

But it would be a sad thing if this was the most useful phrase I learnt in my French class! I spent two weeks immersed in Passé Composé and imparfait, strange prepositions and impossible pronounciation.  There were only five in my group and the teaching was lively and interesting with lots of time for questions (see above) and discussion of French culture - I recommend L'Atelier 9 if anyone is looking for a language school in Paris. But I am at the frustrating stage of reading, and understanding if people talk slowly.  Mais il n'existe pas - le français lentement.  So I still feel like a complete beginner in conversation, although I discovered the other night that a few glasses of wine helps my comprehension and my belief that I can speak!  Now my favourite method of study is to go out exploring the city, buying a few groceries and reading all the history signs, advertisements etc. And by travelling by bike I can avoid les crottes de chien!

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.