Existing Member?

The world and beyond - reflections of a dharma nomad

Ten Minutes in silence at Osho Resort!

INDIA | Saturday, 26 January 2008 | Views [638]

After a week in Pune I was ready to find out what the maroon robed drifty-looking people were up to in the smart 'Meditation Resort', so I turned up at lunch time for the guided tour.  At the visitors Centre you are greeting by grumpy people (also in the ugly robes) who make you wait and then flick on a video which explains the philosophy of this 'largest mediation centre in the world'- make participation your lifestyle. It gave a glimpse of the various bizarre forms of practice that go on: shaking, wobbling and other catharsis.  Interviews with the faithful confirmed my view that this is spiritual materialism at its worst: people hunting for highs.  However there is clearly a demand, ot at leat lots of interest as the place was pretty busy with devotees from over 100 countries who are preapred to register(1300 rupees and an HIV test - presumably negative result required) and pay 465 rupees/day as entry fee.  After that the facilities are free: all classes and the chance to lounge by the five-star pool, or pump at gym.  Eating in the organic restaurants is extra, and you have to find your own accomodation outside the resort. 

After the video fourteen of us were solemnly led on the 'silent guided tour' - a chance to see the place for yourself without disturbing the residents!~  We walked in a messy crocodile through the beautiful gardens and past various esoteric buildings advertising their classes (we weren't allowed to stop and read the notices).  People were wandering around and I kept an eye out for signs of joy and happiness.  Managed to contain my giggles until we were led out into the street, relieved that I could go to an extremely silly movie and have a nice meal that evening with fairly conventional company.

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.