Existing Member?

The world and beyond - reflections of a dharma nomad

Rocky Mountain musings

USA | Friday, 4 May 2007 | Views [345]

I've been here over a week now and have found somewhere quiet to curl up with my laptop and describe some of what has been going on: How can I describe this rocky 600 plus acres of mountain land? The trees along the stream just opening their leaves this very day, a luminous green in the evening light. The distant glimpse of snow on the ranges ( we had snow here last week and I ran outside in joy to celebrate - everyone else looking rather jaded after a long winter) Trailers and hobbit houses nestled amongst the pines and rocks. The huge and awe-inspiring stupa which feels like a beacon of peace in this war-torn country. The community ( of about sixty folk - more arriving each day as summer approaches) full of eccentricity , overwork and joy in equal measure. There are three meditation practice sessions/day (optional) and various classes laid on. Yoga at 6.45 each morning with a truly zany woman with a pierced lip and a brilliant sense of humour. She gets us in those difficult twists and then makes us laugh. Three excellent meals each day - lots of salad and interesting flavours. It is hard to get enough exercise to work up an appetite -i have taken to walking up to the stupa after work. Then courses each week which bring larger groups onto the land - I was attending one as soon as I arrived and it was wonderful. Four days of heart-opening radiance. The next day there was a Buddhist cremation on the land - big ceremony with over 100 guests so I was absorbed in preparing food etc. I didn't see the body burning but it is such a powerful thing to be around - lots of reflection on deaths I have known, and the process of dying. Now I have started work co-ordinating programs - I have a group of 65 arriving next weekend; people who have never meditated before! I'm hoping someone will teach me what to do on Monday!! Mostly I have got my head around the advance preparations and the archaic computer systems - my co-workers are very kind and helpful. Last night I finally slept a full eight hours and feel like I have arrived. Didn't have to collapse into siesta after lunch. Also got a massage from a friend who I met in Dharamsala last year and who happened to be in my dorm when I arrived here!! Re-meeting her here made the world seem a very small place. So I feel relaxed and fairly acclimatised - still puffing up the hills in this altitude, but mostly happy and healthy.

Tags: Mountains

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.