Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 97. Who Needs Switchbacks

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 31 January 2017 | Views [325]

I woke up early because I knew Melody and Alex were going to make crepes for breakfast. They turned out really good and there was a group of us that ate together. Everyone was hanging out then I proposed to Cassela and Michealla a hike. We packed up and got ready to go. We headed south to the Nelson Lakes, which was about an hour and a half drive away. I figured we could do a portion of the Mt Robert hike on the Pinchgut track and still had time to come back to the hostel and cook for the barbecue. We parked at the trailhead and set off in the woods. It climbed a bit before it turned into switchbacks that went up the side of the mountain.

It wasn't sunny at all so it made for good hiking weather, not too cold, not too hot. More and more switchbacks up above the lake. We got tired of them so we just started climbing straight up through the switchbacks. It was harder but quicker. We eventually reached big rocks up towards the top. The view was great from there, the lake and the mountains beyond, even with the low clouds, it was pretty. We had lunch, took photos, then headed down. We didn't see any people on the track until we were about halfway from the bottom. We were quick on the downhill and soon, we were back at the car. I drove back to Nelson, we stopped at the store for food and went back home.

We made up a broccoli salad and put corn on the barbecue. The meat on the grill was taking forever to cook and everyone in the house was starving. There were a lot of other dishes on the table and we were all salivating looking at them, not-so-patiently waiting to eat. Finally, it was done and we dug in. Again, a massive delicious meal made by everyone. There was chicken, steak, schnitzel, bread, many different kinds of salads, and at the end, we got out a frozen cheesecake. Everyone had literally stuffed their faces and we were all laying/sitting around, full as could be. There wasn't a lot of drinking and no games. Most people went off to bed early and it was incredibly quiet even before midnight rolled around. I hung out with a few outside then went up to bed.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.