Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 68. More Playground Shenanigans

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 2 January 2017 | Views [271]

While making breakfast, Michealla and I started talking to an older couple who ended up being the people who owned the cooler and chairs from last nights story. They started to tell us how these Argentinians ate their food and how funny it all was but we weren't able to admit that we already knew what happened and that we were there when they pulled up. We packed up our stuff but didn't leave the holiday park until I sorted out an issue with our camping membership cad which took an hour, unnecessarily.

We headed out of Gisborne and off to the Rere Falls. We had heard that it was a pretty waterfall and that the rocks were actually big and smooth and just like a water slide for people to ride down. After a 40 minute drive there, we came to the car park and there were loads of people. We walked down to see what it was like. Everyone had a boogie board and they were sliding down the big rock that was made smooth and slippery by the water. It was entertaining just watching people and we were bummed we didn't have anything to ride down it with. We chose not to go down and just continue on. It was about a three and a half hour drive to Napier.

Once we arrived, it was cloudy out and we went off to get some food at a sushi place, though it wasn't that good. After, we went to a holiday park and booked two nights. We went to get into the pool and found that it was quite cold so we just went to take a hot shower instead. We all got ready and went to the on-site bar and restaurant but decided to just go into town and check out the bars there. We drove to the port area in town where I'd been before to see the street art. First, we went to the Asahi, that was illuminated by green lighting inside and out and also had pretty wood work. I ordered wine and they got mixed drinks. We sat down near a little fake fireplace and enjoyed our beverages.

Next, we went to the Thirsty Whale which had a really cool, open interior and lots a neat nautical stuff. My favorite things were the big whale tail bones that had carvings on them. We all ordered mix drinks and soaked up the nice atmosphere and good conversation. Then we went a little further down the street to Speights Alehouse, the same chain restaurant/bar that I went to before in Queenstown so I hoped I could order the same delicious chicken dish I had previously. It had a cute rustic but fancy inside and we sat at a high top. I ordered beer and the chicken meal, which took forever to arrive but once it did, we all shared it and it was so good.

We ventured out to the car and saw some pretty lights far away so we figured we try to go and find what they were about. We found that they were on big spruce/type trees and were quite pretty. Right near them was a playground so we spent awhile on the monkey bars, swings, and spin toys. We're just big kids and like to replay our younger days from time to time. We headed back to the holiday park and went to bed.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.