Existing Member?

New Zealanding

DAY 67. Stolen Cheese

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 1 January 2017 | Views [237]

I woke up and looked over in Michealla's and Cassela's tent and sighed when I saw the little escape artist sleeping soundly. I went off to make eggs and bacon and as I was eating, Cassela came in and told me about her New Years adventures. Apparently she made a bunch of friends and did other things you do at a festival and didn't get back to our camp until 7am. We finished up breakfast and hung out in our tents before going to McDonalds to chill and use our phones. Apparently it was the place to be on New Years Day cause everyone and their mom was there.

Back at the camp, we made chicken and vegetables for dinner. I cooked the chicken on the outside grill which was more like just a big metal pan over a burner. It took a long time since the pieces were so thick and chatted with a few people from Australia who were cooking too. We hurried up and ate so we could catch the movie that was playing at the holiday park. We went to the game room and they were finishing up a Disney movie but they didn't play Despicable Me afterwards like we thought. We headed on over to the beach instead to watch the sunset. The beach was pretty and the trees that line it were neat. The clouds in the sky made for beautiful colors as the sun went down.

A couple of guys from Argentina asked if we'd have a few beers with them on the beach. We all sat together and chatted about New Zealand and they told us about life in Argentina. One of them hardly spoke English, while his friend spoke quite good English and said that he's a teacher back in his country. That guys older brother now lives in Wellington is trying to get residency here. Once it got dark, we went over to the holiday park's playground and played on the different toys which was nice to be able to let lose a bit.

We went over to their campsite with our leftover boxes of wine. They explained to us that the chairs we were using and the cooler of food we were eating out of was their neighbors but they just left them there. They said they were gone the whole day and hadn't come back so they just claimed all the stuff as their own. We drank our wine and they gave us slices of cheese from a big block of sharp cheddar that they found in the cooler. They also cut up a cucumber and shared. We were listening to music but not that loud but a guy from a camper nearby came out and told us to keep it down so we moved a little away from that spot.

A little while later, a car pulled up right next to us and out hops an older man and he starts questioning the guys about their stuff. Apparently they had come back for their cooler and chairs as well as their food. It was so funny and the guy and his wife were not happy. The three of us left them to deal with it and went back to our camp. We laid out a blanket and watched the stars in the clear sky. After a bit, the guys came over and told us about the debacle. They said they paid them for the food and beer they drank and the couple ended up laughing about it. The guys were embarrassed but it was a quite a funny situation.

Another guy came out of his tent and complained that we were being too loud so we vacated to the kitchen. Cassela went off to bed shortly after and the rest of us sat around talking. Security came in and said we had to leave the kitchen in 20 minutes. We just kept getting booted out of everywhere! We went to the picnic tables outside of the kitchen and of course someone in a nearby cabin said we were being too loud again. After this I called it a night and went to my tent. It was cool to have learned a lot about another country and what it's like to live there. Someday I'll make it to Argentina.

 

About joyaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.