Existing Member?

Searching for Calm Waters

Ego of 'tech' - Part 1

TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS | Tuesday, 31 July 2007 | Views [504]

I'm drawn to deeper water, the urge just to carry on going, to drop down, just a little further to that next plateau or drop off, drawn to calm and peace and the small amount of time where a sensation of 'oneness' with the water is found; just for a short time.  It's just pure escapism, that's all it is, but by 'eck it's good.

After a couple of 'odd' diving experiences regarding the above mentioned deep I figured I clearly needed more knowledge/training/experience and whilst reasonably competent with this scuba diving malarky am very aware of what I am lacking so contacted the lovely Ariane, 'Technical' diving instructor.

Hence my 'tech or ego' tag.  Seems to me that people are drawn to status, to what they believe defines them and to what they believe gives them status.  But what on earth is status anyway?  It's a perception, that's all, it's what we would like people to think of us, how we would like to be seen.  It is not real.  The truth lies behind it all, take it all away and who you are is what's left/what's left is who you are, however you wish to view it.  I know this is not exactly a revolution in thinking, it's just how I happen to feel.

Introduce yourself as a 'tech diver', defining yourself by that which you paid lots for suggests an ego that is out of balance.

Hence why up to this point I've always been a little dubious about doing a 'technical course', after all surely if you pursue an interest enough it's bound to get more difficult.  But to brand it that way, to give it this apparently far more complex status doesn't feel right.  I remember learning to scuba dive in the first place, felt pretty fucking technical to me at the time!

So I'm on a path through experiences and courses to improve my diving, apparently earning status and kudos galore along the way with which to astound and impress my friends, earning envy as I go......

Watch this space......

Tags: Technical or Egotistical?

About josie

This is me, taken by Danny x

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turks & Caicos Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.