Existing Member?

Searching for Calm Waters

Potcake Pleasure?

TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS | Sunday, 10 February 2008 | Views [701]

A potcake is the name given to the local dogs on the island, they originate from when slaves where on the island and the dogs where apparently introduced to 'protect' them, though more likely to prevent them from attempts at escape.....the name comes from the bottom of the pot burnt/crud from cooking that would be scraped out to be thrown out to the dogs.

I have never known just beautifully natured dogs.  We've ended up with two of the buggars, Jasper and Mrs Whiskers.

Jasper ended up being fostered by neighbours about 2 months ago, he had been hit by a car and left in the road.  It was unsure wether he would survive after the hit as he couldn't stand let alone walk, had problems determining the origin of sound and generally looked a bit bewildered.

The neighbours were going away for the weekend so we said we'd keep an eye on him.  First 2 days he stayed in the garage, then after 2 days on our balcony being watched over and looked after he stood up, a little wobbly admittedly but stand up he did.  From then on it got better and better and within a week he was trotting around at our heels.  Problem was now we'd totally fallen in love with him and he now seemed to be ours. Much to the amusement of the neighbours when they returned (and relief, fostering and finding new owners is not an easy task here.

This was not the original idea considering we are temporary residents on a tropical island.  However it was too late.

Next came Mrs Whiskers, one of a group of 'in bad shape' dogs left behind when the original carer/owner died.  The group was being cared for by volunteers of the local animal charity TCSPCA.  Some of the group where good for rehoming, others not quite so much hope.  I had gone to see the dogs with a view to rehoming one to be a yard dog, and to be vocal around the place, mainly for protection, a win win situation really.

Mrs Whiskers was a strange choice, she was the smallest, a terrier type but there was just something about her you know, I just knew she would have a lovely character, a big heart and a feisty character, just what we needed around the place.

She proved me right, however again I hadn't counted on how totally utterly gorgeous she would be and now I'm in love with her as well.  This isn't helped by Danny who is as soft hearted as I am.

Shit.

They bring us a lot of joy, they are unconditionally loving, responsive, well behaved and fun. Mrs W literally jumps for joy when she sees you.  These dogs were strays, wild, but when given care they respond hugely.  How can the locals not recognise this?  The abuse and lack of even-the-faintest-sign-of-giving-a-shit offered by locals to these dogs is incredible.  But it's ok as god forgives them they're sins towards these animals.  Bollox really.

There's a few pictures attached, enjoy.

Josie xx

Tags: Friends

About josie

This is me, taken by Danny x

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turks & Caicos Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.