Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

Haines : Mudslides and Moose Poo

USA | Wednesday, 8 September 2010 | Views [662]

The Alaskan city of Haines has left an unforgettable imprint and further fueled my love of Alaska. Delivered via our ferry through the inside passage in a blured mix of weariness and excitement, the eye widenning granduer of the Takshanuk Mountains greeted our arrival. Giggles were used to mask the slight anxiety of camping beneath these ice topped, glacier riddled ranges.

It was here in this small coastal town that we were to witness a most wonderful spectacle on the edge of town.

In the 70's the Fisheries Department placed a weir on the Chilkat River to count and monitor the salmon returning to spawn in the fall. This, being prime bear country made for a wonderful location for moma bear to do some fishing. On one side of the weir are thousands (literally) of fishies trying to get upstream, held back by the weir. Meanwhile those little fishies once through tend to rest against this barrier. Out wades Yogi bear, who after feasting to her hearts content, retreats to her forested den. The bears practically need a ticketing system as a queue of grizzlies almost forms. If Sammy the salmon hasn't got it tough enough, North America's largest concentration of Bald Eagles live up the road plucking their fishy fill every morning as well.


So there we are, watching the majestic specticle of grizzlies catching salmon with playful cubs bounding around. So spectacular is the occasion the memory card is full and the camera batteries are flat. We headed out to watch the event unfold a total of four times. Each time it was magnificent.

Meanwhile the elusive moose still evades us. Multiple driving adventures to “select” moose grazing areas has left us empty handed. Tormenting us even more is the sight of fresh moose poo by the roadside and the locals casually mentioning their daily spottings of the animal.

Departing Haines, and Alaska for that matter a wee little mudslide closed the only road out of town for a few hours. Just putting a little exclamation into this grand state of USA that is WILD ALASKA!

The world's most indirect travelers, Josh and Shona.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.