Existing Member?

Jos on the road Turn up my collar, welcome the unknown...

Arrival in Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 6 August 2007 | Views [555] | Comments [2]

Well, I've made it safely to Oz. I was in transit for about thirty odd hours, flying from Warsaw to London to Singapore to Sydney. I actually got upgraded to business class on the flight to London though I've no idea why. The only differences I could make out was that we had a curtain seperating us from the plebs and got a hot flannel to wash the common germs from our hands before take off. I wonder how much extra people pay for that. I was surprised how good the food was, in that it was actually edible, and the films on offer weren't bad either. I managed to get through most of Hot Fuzz and Blades of Glory, with odd bits of 300. Combine this with sleep deprivation and reading Neil Gaiman short stories and things get pretty weird. Still, I arrived in Sydney at an ungodly hour of their morning and tried to convince my body that is was actually morning and not teatime. I was doing okay 'til I got outside and it was still dark...

Oh yes and immigration: not that scary. I was expecting a lot of fuss, especially as I had to declare my chocolate, noodles, stock cubes and paracetamol. That last one counts as 'medicines that may be restricted', which was also lumped in with 'illegal drugs, firearms and other weaponry'. Wasn't quite sure how much trouble it was going to be when I ticked that box. But they mostly just waved me through and gave me a snazzy looking visa page in my passport. I guess it was too early for them to be too bothered either.

So yes, I'm here. The water goes down the plughole the wrong way and the stars are all foreign, but it's winter and there's a lighthouse so I guess it all evens up. By 'winter', I mean bright, clear skies but not too hot. Still t-shirt weather though, as far as I'm concerned. All the locals are wrapped up; makes a change not to be the nesh one.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

Comments

1

Wooo Oz... won't need to use your pointing and smiling skills to communicate for a while now.

  Dave Aug 7, 2007 8:17 AM

2

Of course immigration wasn't a problem - you don't "look foreign".

  Damian Aug 8, 2007 6:41 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.