Existing Member?

Senoritas and Magaritas Estoy Boracho, Asi!

Big Heads in Small Places

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 23 July 2007 | Views [534] | Comments [4]

The last few days have been a bit of a rollercoaster ride.  La Serena was beautiful.  We stayed at a hostel called Maria´s Casa where Maria (a 50 something lady) was too hungover to welcome us after partying too hard with the previous backpackers the night before.  Her son Fernando was more than helpful in giving us a run down of the town.  We drank in a Chilean old man sports bar, went to the local museum and saw real life mummies and a genuine easter island head.  At night we splurged out and had a three course seafood meal with a good bottle of Chilean sav blanc for $50 for the both of us.

The next day we headed inland to a small colonial town called Vicuña.  It looked like the setting for an old spaghetti western.  A very cool little place. We are currently in Copiapo about 5 hours north of La Serena.  It is a mining town and very boring.  The people are nice but there´s not much to do except drink and wait for the bus.

I have become obsessed with jewel encrusted belts and buckles so I am now on a mission to find them.  Nadia is hunting jewellery bargains.  In a day or so we´ll be in the Atacama Desert and can´t wait!

And Nadia thought I had a big head!

And Nadia thought I had a big head!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Find any lapis lazuli?

T.

  tarek Jul 24, 2007 8:57 AM

2

Good blog. I can really picture things from your good descriptions. The price for a good meal sounds great especially for seafood. We are enlarging your entries and taking them to Grandma so she can see what you're both up to. Take care Love Mum and Dad

  Sue & Tony Jul 24, 2007 4:44 PM

3

have you found any sweet beads of some description?

  brett Jul 25, 2007 5:41 PM

4

I really like this heading Jonno.And you're not wrong Chile is full of "big heads". But never mind that, La Serena is a beautiful place and it seems time hasn't changed Vicuña, it looked just like that when I visited sometime last century!Take care both of you.
Waiting for those lattes Nadia.
Mama

  Ketty Jul 27, 2007 6:20 PM

About jonno-nadia

Only days until we leave now, for some reason I look scared and Nadia looks excited!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.