Existing Member?

Senoritas and Magaritas Estoy Boracho, Asi!

Northern Hemisphere Here We Come!

ECUADOR | Saturday, 25 August 2007 | Views [896] | Comments [2]

Since we last wrote a lot has happened so here goes. We left Lima and headed north to a city called Trujillo(like the suicidal,Ozzy,Metallica bass player). It was not the most happening place but nice all the same. We moved on to a small seaside village called Huanchaco. Huanchaco is beautiful, very touristy in summer but nice and quiet while we were there so we set up camp for a few days to enjoy the beach at last. This is where we were when the Peru earthquake happened, we didn´t feel it but all electricity was lost for a while. We had been in Pisco and Lima the previous 2 days and felt ourselves very lucky that we left when we did. We got to know a few of the locals and found out about the easiest way to cross the border into Ecuador and some nice places to stay and we hit the road. The next two days were spent hopping from bus terminal to bus terminal in North Peru so there´s not much to report there I´m afraid.

When we crossed the border into Ecuador we noticed the change immediately. The landscape became extremely mountainous and everywhere was green as opposed to the dusty brown we had become accustomed to. After about 9 hours on the road that day we ended up in a tiny village in South Ecuador named Vilcabamba, cobblestone streets, little to no traffic with spectacular mountain views, absolutely beautiful. We found lodgings at the place that had been recommended to us. Easily the most luxurious place we have stayed on our trip(with the exception of all the relatives houses of course) set looking apon a garden that Don Bourke would envy with all the mod cons and hammocks on the porch looking out across the valley. It was fantastic, especially at $16 a night with breakfast. We didn´t want to leave but alas the rest of Ecuador was longing to meet us.

We spent a night in Loja and then took a nearly unbearable 15 and a half hour bus to Quito. Another city that everyone raves about as being dangerous and scary. I´m probably jinxing us but we have found it quite charming and easy going so far. The difference betwwen the old town and new town is amazing, with the architecture and mood of the two towns are worlds apart.

We are in Quito for 2 more days and then head to Atacames on the Coast before flying to Colombia at the end of the month. Nadia and I are both well and haven´t gotten sick of each other yet. We are picking up some amazing bargains including the hand made cowboy boots that are being made for me as we speak. Don´t worry Brett I decided against the snakeskin.

Until next time.

Jonno and Nadia

Jonno keeps making new friends!

Jonno keeps making new friends!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

hmmmm... it seems that some bulls escape the South American dinner plate, for now anyway. Glad you guys are safe.
later
Les

  Les Aug 26, 2007 2:59 PM

2

wise, wise choice my friend......

  brett Sep 3, 2007 1:27 PM

About jonno-nadia

Only days until we leave now, for some reason I look scared and Nadia looks excited!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.