Existing Member?

Senoritas and Magaritas Estoy Boracho, Asi!

Ancient Ruins and Shoe Shine Boys

PERU | Tuesday, 14 August 2007 | Views [1262] | Comments [5]

Since I last filled you in we have been rather busy. Firstly, Machu Picchu. As you well know this is a place of huge reputation and a major moment in our South American adventure, it started early with a 6am train for 4 hours into the jungle of Peru then a bus up treacherous winding roads to the ruins itself. Once you are through with all the formalities that comes along with the major tourist attractions and you actually get a look at what you´ve travelled to see it is quite amazing. Anyone who has been to Peru knows what its like even without going there as posters of the place are plastered everywhere you go from airports to bathrooms.

Nadia and I couldnt believe how well maintained the ruins were, perhaps too well maintained as as we found out only 50% of the ruins are original and haven´t been rebuild. Still the setting amidst the mountains and the forests etc are enough to make the trip worthwhile, truly spectacular.

We will try and provide postcards for everyone on our return as due to a camera malfunction, we lost all our photos! Never mind, it gives us an excuse to go back.

Next we flew to Lima in order to avoid the harrowing 30 hour bus ride we were told it would take by land and spent a few days in the city exploring and enjoying a few piscos. Then we actually heading south 4 hours to the town of Pisco where we took a speed boat out to the Isla Ballestas ( commonly refered to as the poor mans galapogos) probably true but very beautiful with seals, penguins, pelicans and all matter of sea creatures as far as the eye could see. And the fresh sea air escaping the big city smog was a welcome relief.

Today we head north to Trujillo before making our way to Ecuador next week. Hopefully putting some distance between me and the hoards of shoe shine boys who target me everywhere. "Un Sole Amigo" they tell me "mucho necessito" but I tell them that I like my shoes scuffed, it adds character. They don´t understand me and leave cursing the gringo. Too bad but the overuse of the word Amigo when trying to sell us things makes us feel like we have lots of friends! so it´s not all bad.

Til next time.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Looks impressive...

  Tarek Aug 14, 2007 2:51 PM

2

Urgent request. Let us know if you are OK after the earthquake. We are really worried as so many dead and injured. A quick email or an updated blog would be great.
Love
Mum and Dad

  Sue and Tony Aug 16, 2007 7:13 PM

3

Good to hear you dodged the Earthquake JD & Noodles!
Me & Jo narrowly missed Hurricanes & Typhoons & such all through Arizona & Hawaii!
We're back in stinking Melbourne now.
I'm totally jealous of the big head you saw!
Travel safe!
Jamie

  Jamie Aug 20, 2007 12:39 PM

4

Sounds like you guys are having a blast!
Hope you've dodged the hurricanes too...
Loving the updates and photos
Sarah
x

  Sarah Link Aug 24, 2007 12:27 AM

5

How about another update so we know all is still well.
Cass is off to NZ tomorrow and Libby comes home tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you both.
Love Mum and Dad xxx

  Sue and Tony Aug 24, 2007 9:35 AM

About jonno-nadia

Only days until we leave now, for some reason I look scared and Nadia looks excited!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.