Existing Member?

The Wizard of Oz and Other Tales

Back in the working routine...

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 23 July 2012 | Views [535]

We have been in Perth now for almost four weeks and I just started my second week at work. Referring  to my earlier posting, I am working in a Go Vita shop in Southlands shopping center in Willetton, around 20 kilometers from Perth city center. Even thought it sounds far away, it is very well connected and only 12 minutes train journey and 5-10 minutes bus journey away. The public transportation works pretty well here in generally and the train stations and bus lines are well connected. You can basically walk from the train straight to the bus so commuting it's not that painful as in so many other cities.

At work I am unpacking the incoming stuff, booking the stuff into the system, pricing and general data entry and displaying the goods when ready to the store. The job is quite simple, and I feel I am really staring a computer screen a lot. There are calculations and pricing variations that I have to do but in general not very challenging at all. However the working hours are Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm so it is convenient and at least I can say my stress level can't increase because of the job.. :)the job is good for this moment. The same family has been running the store for the past almost twenty years. They also have 5-6 other employees working in a shop and everyone is really nice and friendly.

Michele isn't still quite happy with the job since it's very busy and he is all the time on the phone but he is getting more and more use to an Aussie accent so it's getting easier all the time. However Michele is very lucky to be working in a city center.

Last week we went to a gym in one of the days and had a dinner in the Chinese restaurant. Saturday we went to Caversham wildlife park, situated in north east of Perth and we saw many koalas, kangaroos, wombats, birds and many other funny animals. During the day the temperature was 25 degrees so not too bad for winter. Also Sunday was quite warm and sunny when we did a little shopping and had a lunch in town. 

In general we are really enjoying our time in here. We can only imagine how it is going to be in the summer, when the weather heads up and we can hit all the nice surrounding beaches. Our plan at the moment is to stay here at least until October and then since we are already in the west coast, to rent a Campervan and drive all the way till Darwin. We also want to do little weekend trips while in Perth, but we are still waiting at least couple of more weeks the weather to warm up a bit. 

Otherwise the life is pretty normal here at the moment. We are both working so during the week it's a bit more quiet. The dark comes already around 5.30-6 so after work there is not really time to enjoy the day and the sun, unfortunately. The weekends are for that now. In the house we are getting along with everyone and I guess we are getting use to the fact that we have to share again.  It's not too bad afterwards. Our short-term plan is to join a gym and get our exercise level back to the normal again.

About jomppa_and_miki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.