Existing Member?

The Wizard of Oz and Other Tales

Perth - first couple of weeks!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 13 July 2012 | Views [708]

It's been a while since we have updated this blog. We arrived to Perth 27th of June. First 4 nights we were staying in 2 different hostels, before we found our house in North bridge. North bridge is just next to the center of Perth - very cool area with loads of restaurants, cafes, pubs and all kind of little shops. There is also an unofficial Chinatown, street full of Chinese owned places. We are now sharing the house with 2 English guys and one English/Irish couple. The couple just moved in this Tuesday, when the Irish girls, who previously lived here moved out. The house is big, high-roofed and tall windows. We also have a backyard garden which is pretty nice when the weather is nice.

When we arrived here the first few days we were just trying to take care all the mandatory things; getting sim-cards, visiting bank, getting tax file numbers and looking for a place to live and looking for a job. Michele was very lucky with the job and he got a job already in the same week, just after 3 days we arrived to Perth. Michele is working for RAC - it is insurance company and Michele is working in a claim handling department. The job is Monday to Friday and he has regular hours. The job is also in the citycenter of Perth. It is temporary position at least for 2 months, maybe more.

While Michele has been working the weekdays I have just concentrated to look for a job. I have also visited some parks in Perth, walked across the city area, gone jogging,visited some very nice shops. Last weekend we paid a visit to Fremantle, little old town just half an hour train journey from Perth.

Last Friday, a week ago, we also had a house party at our house. The party was organized by our ex-housemates, crazy Irish girls... It was fun indeed, and they even got a guy here with a deck for DJ:ing. The theme of the party was fancy dress, so we had all kind of funny dresses in here. I had a last minute idea and I just gathered a pirate look from my own clothes and scarfs. Pictures will follow later on.

This week I managed to get 4 interviews for myself. A bit of everything: receptionist in a chiropractic, receptionist/waitress in a airport hotel/motel, general office person for family online business with health product and a trial for a nightclub. Today I got good news. The place with family business offered me a job in one their shops. So the position is not the one they originally interviewed me but something close to that. The shop name is Govita and it is based in shopping center in Willetton, south suburb. They have shops and online shop and they sell health products, bodybuilding, vitamins, weight loss, superfood and so on. Today on the phone he explained that I will be doing order entry and other tasks, so I am not the actual shop assistant as far as I understood. The hours will be Monday to Friday and from 9-17.30. So it really good we worse :)

From all the other places that I had an interview, they promised to let me know next week. The airport hotel was the one that I liked the most, cause it was very casual, kind of countryside atmosphere, little bit of tourism and the place itself was just so cute. They even have their own golf field. That job would include evening and weekend work and not sure if they would offer full hours. So I think I will stick with this job, no matter if I would get one of the other ones. So I am very much delighted now, cause we have met people here who have been struggling to find a job. Now I really can believe that things that happen the way they should happen.. And after working in big multinational companies, it's very nice to be part of smaller family business.

Tonight we are heading to drinks with Michele's colleagues and Sunday we are planning on visiting a Koala park. And tomorrow, a Finnish friend from Melbourne is coming over to Perth for a work trip, so we have a chance to meet as well. Have a nice weekend to all of ya!

About jomppa_and_miki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.