Existing Member?

There and Back Again

Sardegna

ITALY | Saturday, 25 June 2011 | Views [504]

Agriturismos – They are found across Sardegna (Sardinia). They are basically a family farm that provides meals (from local and farm produce) and accommodation to tourists. We experienced both the scrumptious meals and excellent accommodation.

The first Agriturismo Sardegna was a meal at ‘Mannu’ near Cala Gonone and later 2 nights at ‘Li Licci‘  (http://www.lilicci.com/index.shtml) deep in the peaceful countryside 20 minutes drive from Olbio.

Dinner usually consisted of 5+ courses:

Antipasto – such things as smoked or preserved meats (crudo prosciutto!!), sheep/goat cheeses, olives accompanied by the local pana carasau (wafer thin) and crusty farm baked bread.

Prima – either pasta dishes(s) or something like fish, prawns or crabs.

Secondi – ‘main’ course that depending on type of farm. Could be a suckling pig, lamb or goat dish.

Desert – Sebadas (honey, cheese filled light pastry), lemon sorbet.

We usually drank a litre + of very quaffable locally produced red wine that came in a pottery jug and lots of spring water.

Joel and Angela, who accommodated us in London, joined us for our trip to Sardegna. We travelled together in our rented Lancia. It was quite a challenge negotiating the narrow alleys and country roads on the ‘wrong’ side of the road. The countryside is rugged, mountainous with granite outcrops softened by oak/cork trees and aromatic plants. The weather was warm enough to swim in the clear aqua blue water on their beautiful beaches.

The towns and villages mainly consisted of narrow alleys, cobbled streets and the architecture was a mixture of Spanish and Italian influences with pink, yellow and teal coloured walls. The geraniums and other flowers spilling over the window sills were stunning.

All the people we encountered were respectful, proud and helpful although only a few spoke English. There is a strong influence of Spain on the western side of the Island. Sardinians take pride in their history. Eleanora d’Arborea (1347 – 1404) is a heroine and fighter for women’s rights. http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleonora_d%27Arborea

Highlights:

A seafood meal at Mabrouk restaurant in Alghero and the meals in the Agriturismos Mannu and Li Licci.

Casa Dorio B&B in the medieval castle city of Castel Sardo.

The towns of Oliena, Boso, San Teresa da Gallura and Orogoso (with its walls of political graffiti)

Witnessing a funeral procession in Castel Sardo.

Boat trip to Cala Gonone beaches with their clear blue, aquamarine colours.

Seeing a 3800 year old olive tree.

The ancient Nuraghe stone village (Bronze age era).

Well we didn’t get to Syria but choosing Sardinia was a surprising alternative and we thoroughly enjoyed its fantastic local food, beautiful countryside and friendly people.

About johnsteel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.