Existing Member?

There and Back Again

Travel Tip - using Google maps

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 9 June 2015 | Views [369]

Travel tip
You can use Google maps even when you are out of a wi-fi zone.
Many of our digitally savvy friends probably know this, but we have found this invaluable while travelling. 
How does it work?
You need a device that has 'Google Maps' app installed, access to wi-fi (at the start) and your 'location services' switched on.
If you are in an unfamiliar place, and you want to go somewhere eg for breakfast, to a laundromat or even to the closest petrol station (if you are in a car), then this is a very useful tool.
The very first thing to do, while you have access to Wi-fi (in your hotel, restaurant) plot your route in google maps. This is important and do this while in wi-fi zone. Here is my walking route to breakfast at 'Le Pain Quotidien'

Now this is where it becomes useful - even when you move out of the WiFi zone, your movements are tracked. Google uses GPS and if you check your device, a blue dot appears on the map where you are currently located.

If you stray off track, you can check where you are on your device and then correct your track.
Image
We had a splendid breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien.

About johnsteel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.