Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

July 24 - 26 - Into Ontario, Canada

USA | Sunday, 27 July 2008 | Views [692] | Comments [1]

July 24 – 88 miles from Birch Run, MI to Port Huron, MI, then another 7 miles around Port Huron.  With pleasant weather, little wind and no hills, it was an easy day.  Some days seem to blur into many others, and with more endless corn and soybean fields, this was one of those.  In Yale, MI, we learned that we were missing the annual bologna festival – rats, I was so looking forward to it!  (Yale is the self-proclaimed bologna capital of the world (‘cause no other city wanted the honor.))  We also saw that Lake Huron is incredibly blue, of the Caribbean shade – a lovely lake with lovely beaches, and apparently water warm enough to swim in (as opposed to Lake Michigan.)

 

July 25 – over the aptly named Blue Water Bridge into Sarnia, Ontario, then 67 flat miles to London, ON.  America by Bicycle managed to have the east bound bridge closed for our transit, so we had a fun group ride up an over the high bridge into Canada.  Otherwise, it was corn, wheat and soybeans all day, in what looks in every way to be the US except the flags.  But still a fun rude, as I rode with a good group, scenery was pleasant and the day short.  Today I went over the 3,000 mile mark for the trip – less than 800 to go.

 

July 26 – You are never can tell how a day will work out on this trip.  I started late today – dead last in the group – so figured I would relax and  ride alone at my own pace, which can be very enjoyable.  I passed several of the slower riders and about mile 18 caught up with Norm and George, then Robert and Carol. Shortly thereafter, a thunderstorm rolled in.  We took refuge in a farmer’s barn, with 15 of us eventually settling in for 45 minutes to wait out the rather lovely storm.  Leaving, I rode with Dan, Paul, Carolyn and Julie, but eventually decided to slow down and ride alone again.  About lunchtime, a second storm rolled in, and I took refuge at café in Mt. Pleasant (the Windmill – worth going to if you are in the area.)  9 others were there, and we had good food, sitting in very comfy rockers on the covered porch, watching the lightning crash around us, torrential rain, and a brief episode of ¾ inch hail.  It was a spectacular display of power.  We also chatted with the owner, who gave us complimentary home-made cookies.  When the rain broke, we decided to try the remaining 9 miles (of 67 total) to Brantford, despite lots of clouds in the area.  A mistake.  The heavens opened up in 3 miles, then lightning crashed exactly overhead and all around.  Pretty scary.  The first refuge opportunity was in 2 miles, under a bridge, where 6 of us, now soaking wet, held up for another 20 minutes.  When the lightning passed we went the remaining 3 miles in pouring rain, through streets with flowing streams.  Everyone in the group arrived safelty (all 52) though many were drenched like us.  Everyone spent a good hour cleaning and drying their bikes.  Overall, it was a great day – one of those days where things get so bad they become good.  You know, like mud wrestling or playing in a blizzard.

 

At dinner, I was surprised by a large cake for my birthday, arranged by Carolyn (my wife, not the Australian rider on this trip).  The group sang Happy Birthday.  I had tried to keep this under wraps, but it was pleasant nonetheless.

St. Clair River, flowing out of Lake Huron, and Canadian shore

St. Clair River, flowing out of Lake Huron, and Canadian shore

Comments

1

Thanks for sending the link to your trip journal John! I really enjoy reading the accounts and was very sorry to read that you missed the bologna festival (I heard once that thay even put trout meat into bologna...).

Best regards and keep pedaling!!!

  Dan Shiel Jul 28, 2008 1:58 AM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.