Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

July 21 - 23 Across Michigan - the Lake and the State

USA | Wednesday, 23 July 2008 | Views [617] | Comments [2]

July 21 – 15 miles around Manitowoc, WI, then a ferry ride across Lake Michigan, and then a 3 miles to our hotel in Ludington, MI.   Manitowoc was a lovely place to spend the morning, with a nice bike path along the lake and a surprisingly good (and free) art museum in an old mansion.  The best thing I found in Manitowoc was the “West of the Lake” gardens, also free – established by a local resident, Ruth West, in 1934, maintained by her till her death in the 1990’s, and now endowed by her estate.  Pretty, extensive gardens on the lake shore, in full bloom.

 

The ferry ride was fun.  We took the S.S. Badger, the last coal fired ferry in the country, built in 1953, which does a good (or bad) job of polluting the skies with coal smoke.  I never appreciated how big the great lakes are until now – we sailed across the lake the short way, at 20 mph, and it took 4 hours, with no land in sight for most of that time.  Along the way, I took out the guitar and we had a songfest for several hours.  I was joined by a mandolin player part of the time, and then a crewman with his accordian – so we played polkas on the starboard deck.  We got a little crowd, and lots of singing.

 

July 22 – 114 miles to Mt. Pleasant, MI, in the middle of the state, followed by 6 miles around town looking to buy a cell phone charger, as I had left mine in Wisconsin.  The scenery changed from corn and soybeans to the north woods – thick hardwood stands and tannin-brown streams, plus some areas where the original white pine forest is returning.  Lots of lakes, cabins and hunting camps.  Cool, cloudy weather, reasonably favorable winds and the forested roads made this long day, the last century ride of the trip, pleasurable.

 

July 23 – 76 miles to Birch Run, MI – a small town with an economy based on outlet stores, north of Flint, MI.  Back in farm country today.  This was by far the flattest day yet, and with tail winds part of the time (the times we were going south rather than east), the ride was quick – 17.8 mph average, and in before 1 PM.  But frankly, with more corn and soybeans and long flat roads, the riding was pretty monotonous, so there was little to do but push ourselves hard.

 

Thoughts:

 

Roadkill Update:

 

To pick up on a previous theme, Michigan introduced a new critter for the leading roadkill – the racoon.  Very few rabbits now, and no snakes, but still some deer, and, to prove we are in the east, sometimes a porcupine.  Saddest of all is to see turtles on the road.   By the way, there were no prairie dogs on the road in South Dakota.  The little rodents, besides being insufferably cute, also have perhaps the best sensitivity to motion of any mammal, so cars have no chance to get them.   Apparently an evolutionary response against coyotes and hawks.

 

Roadkill, of a different kind: 

 

Commonly, our dinner meals are at low priced buffets and “family” restaurants, of which there seem to be many along every franchise strip outside of every small city in America.  Examples are Ponderosa, Golden Corral, Panda Panda, Pizza Hut, Sizzler, Country Kitchen, Bonanza, and most commonly, Perkins.  There were also local equivalents.  As the title of this blurb implies, the quality has been pretty dismal – sometimes we it was hard to distinguish what we were eating.  Of course, to make up for it, the portions are consistently large or all you can eat.   

 

A few observations on the American family restaurant fare:

- Salad means iceberg lettuce.  If you are lucky, there may be some cabbage or a tomato, but it appears, at least to this point in Michigan, that other greens, such as arugula, spinach, or watercress have not been discovered.  Needless to say, the salad is consistently completely flavorless – we eat it because we need the roughage.

- Salad dressing means French, ranch, Thousand Island, or Italian (pronounced “Eye-talian”).  Hard for me to believe, but the most popular dressings in New York City – balsamic vinagarette, honey mustard, parmesan peppercorn, even plain old oil and vinegar – have not been discovered out here either.

- Veggies means corn or mixed steamed vegetables, all cooked to death.  No vitamins or flavor here, so what is the point?

- Chicken or “steak” (if that is what it is) are over-cooked and flavorless.

- Pasta – don’t get me started 

 

It is easy to get pessimistic about American taste based on mass market restaurants.  Coming from New York and a family that really appreciates well cooked food with variety, flavor and originality, it has been somewhat of a surprise (or needed reminder) how bad restaurant food can be.  America has such a rich cuisine, and so many excellent chefs and great restaurants, why do so many people settle for roadkill?  Certainly it is not simply economics – these people could eat better and cheaper at home, with only a small modicum of effort and some basic education about cooking skills.  Besides, well cooked food does not have to cost more – it just takes desire on the part of the restaurant owners to provide quality.  Have we become so addicted to convenience that we have lost our tastebuds?  Are so many people ignorant of what good cooking is?  Are the restaurant owners (both the franchisees and franchise headquarters) only concerned about money and not about quality?  I don’t have answers – just making an observation.  I now have a whole new spin on the old PT Barnum adage “there is no underestimating the taste of the American public.”

 

Oh, and as I said above, to make up for quality, these places are either all you can eat or the portions are large to gigantic.  So predictably, the patrons are often large as well.  The American obesity epidemic is in glaring evidence.  There is decidedly a health crisis out here in the heartland, and it is cultural in nature.  I suspect it does not matter what anyone does to improve our health care system – the state of American health will not change and likely will deteriorate until we get the obesity epidemic corrected - until people exercise, eat reasonable portions and balanced diets, and lay off the sweets and junk snack food.  Of course we all know this, but as far as I can tell, there is no sincere effort to address this, as there is money to be made in supporting our unhealthy habits.

 

Oh well, enough pessimistic musings for the night.  Tomorrow looks to be another fine day of riding, and it is indeed a beautiful country, rich in resources and friendly people, and we are reasonably free (including free to over-eat lousy food.)  The glass is much more than half full, literally and figuratively.

 

Sand dunes on Lake Michigan

Sand dunes on Lake Michigan

Comments

1

i think the issue is in the difference between eating as a chore and eating for enjoyment. one eye opening meal of what a pleasure food can be and a snowball effect can begin in my opinion.

  Brad Jul 25, 2008 9:22 AM

2

In 1978, George & I drove around France for a month. I was really looking forward to enjoying the cuisine. Britanny, Normandie, and the Loire were fine. But then we headed South. We were traveling with a "single" friend who taught French, who had to watch his budget, and scoured each town for cheap restaurants. Bottom line, we ended up eating chicken, French fries, and lettuce salad both lunch and dinner for weeks. Finally I broke down over the lack of vegetables. It was years before I could face another French fry. Dessert was always fruit/fromage/ or glace. Fortunately the wine saved the day, and thinking about boarding the QEII for the sail home. (Of course the breakfast coffee came 30 minutes after we sat down, and the kippers came spattering all over our shirt.) Just a "head's up" should you think about the Tour de France.

  Lucretia Jul 25, 2008 12:36 PM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.