Existing Member?

Riding from Sea to Sea: John's Cross-Country Bicycle Tour

July 27 - 30 - Niagara Falls and the Erie Canal

USA | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [797] | Comments [3]

July 27 – 76 miles from Brantford, ON to Niagara Fall, NY, including a few extra miles around Niagara Fall, ON to see the falls.  Easy riding through more farms, mostly with Norm, capped by the falls.  In some ways, the tourists are as interesting as the falls.   There were throngs of them, in all colors and manner of dress (saris, chadors, Japanese tourist hats.)  In the US and Canada, Niagara Falls is somewhat of a second string tourist sight, but for the rest of the world, the falls are a big deal - in particular, tourists from India and China.  In fairness, the falls are beautiful and impressive in their power.  However, after you look at them for 30 minutes or so from a variety of angles, there is not much else to the sight, except to pay money to see yet another angle (i.e. from the base on the “Maid of the Mist”, from a helicopter, from the top of the Skylon tower, from the back in “Niagara’s Fury”, and more) or to go eat and gamble.

 

Had my first bike problem (other than the one flat) – my bike computer died.  It was water resistant, but apparently not designed to be immersed in water, which in effect it was in the storms of yesterday.  So Jim, the AbB mechanic installed a new computer, and once again I know what I’m am doing while riding. 

 

July 28 – our day off in Niagara Falls.  George and I took a “busmans holiday” riding 34 mile to the charming tourist town of Niagara-on-the-lake, ON.  There is a lovely bike path from Niagara Falls, along the Niagara River canyon rim, to Niagara-on-the-Lake (the lake being Lake Ontario.)  We had really good salads and wine for lunch – easily the best lunch of the trip – did some wine tasting and a vineyard, stopped for ice cream on the way back, and finished the day with a fine steak.  Overall, a very civilized day.

 

July 29 – Niagara Falls to Rochester, NY.  The ride was 83 miles, but it seemed  a lot less.  I rode through the rolling farmland with Jim and Little Bill, and we arrived in time for lunch,  In the evening, I visited my Uncle Jon at his assisted living apartment in Rochester. I explained about the trip to him and two of his friends over a very good meal at the facility dining room.   The visit meant riding an additional 12 miles, much of the time over what was the worst road yet of the trip, in terms of bicycle safety – West Henrietta Ave, which has no shoulder, wheel snagging storm drains, trucks zipping by, potholes, no usable sidewalk, lots of vehicles turning in and out of stores, etc.  The Rochester area needs to work on becoming bicycle friendly.

 

July 30 – 94 miles to Syracuse, NY.  Some 20 of the miles were along the old Erie Canal bike path, which was lovely.  A long, uneventful day – warm, but not too warm, humid but not too humid, fast but not too fast, hilly (after leaving the canal) but not too hilly, etc.

 

Thoughts:  Group Dynamics Redux

 

This group of 50 some odd riders has now been together, with a few changes, for over 6 weeks.  We have gone through both tough days and wonderful days - rain, lightning, heat, wind, accidents (none serious), long climbs, angry pick-up truck drivers, dogs chasing, bad hotels and  worse food; but also cool clear skies, brilliant dawns, majestic mountains, lazy streams, buffalo herds and amber waves of grain, as well as a few really nice hotels and meals and a few celebrations.  Having come 3,300 miles together, we know each other’s cycling strengths and weaknesses, but recognize that, by any standard, we all are pretty good bikers to get this far.  There is a solid comraderie, with nicknames and hosts of inside jokes, as with any bonded group. 

 

Surprisingly (to me), there have been no breakdowns (at least in public), no screaming sessions, no overt anger, no tears, and precious little nasty gossip or backbiting.  Even the few unpleasantries have been, to a good extent, ameliorated:  Delaware John (as opposed to me, the guitar player) apologized for singing an overly sarcastic song at each birthday announcement; and Stu and Cheryl have come out of their anti-social shell a bit, offering advice to the group about the western New York (their home turf) and leading a ride to Niagara-on-the-Lake (which George and I went on.)  Better yet, there is a high degree of empathy between riders -  there is a sense that most any rider will go out of their way to help you if you need help. So overall, I have to say I am impressed with the maturity of the group and the way the dynamics have worked out. 

 

Cliques have formed, as you would expect.  Generally the cliques are based on rider strength – i.e. the faster riders ride together all day, so naturally become friends and form a clique, and similarly for the slower and middle speed riders.  Another factor is roommates (where assigned.)   People know everyone else’s clique, but generally there is not a sense of “in crowd” – perhaps the group, mostly 50+ professional adults, is simply beyond this.  It is interesting to note that cliques have not formed based on factors outside of cycling, such as wealth, geography, profession or other interests, except that the four under-30 riders coalesced based on age (perhaps just so they could talk about music and have someone who understands who they are talking about.)  We are bikers on this trip and the world revolves around cycling, so that is the basis of relationships, not to mention most conversation.

 

Quite a few people came on this ride with a partner – spouse, significant other, or same sex friend (none homosexual, or at least none overt or out of the closet.)  These pairs always belong to the same clique and usually ride with each other – perfectly natural as they came together because they like to ride together.  On the positive side, there have been no break-ups and quite a few of these pairs have loosened up - they now feel free to ride separately and have independent relationships with other group members, which is a sign of a healthy friendship.  However, some pairs (Cheryl and Stu, the Brits) have still remained “chained” to each other, so to speak, which has had the effect of less group interaction and thus fewer friends and a less rich experience.  A lesson here for anyone in a relationship.

 

Another surprising aspect, again at least to me, is that no rider has surfaced as the group leader, either by the group casting them into the role or by self-promotion.  The group has deferred to the official AbB leader, Mike Munk, without developing a “social leader” as you often find in classrooms or workplaces.  Early on, Big Tom kind of took on a leadership role, not without some discontent amongst the group, but he left the ride in Minnesota.  Since then, Big Bill and Delaware John have acted as leaders in certain situations, but nothing approaching a group leader.  Not sure why it worked out this way, but again  I suspect it relates to the maturity of the people on the trip.

 

There are a number of distinct personalities like in any group:

-       The loners – like to ride alone, have few words for others and seem content to have it this way.

-       The workaholics – still connected to the office, take some business calls and do some work.  The most pronounced example is Big Bill, but then he is the prime mover in his own, very successful business.

-       The competitors – have to be first out in the morning, first in in the afternoon, and with the fastest group.  There are 3 distinct members of this group, with others having some tendencies.  Interesting that the most pronounced competitor has also become one of the people the group comments/jokes about most.  Over sll, this is not seen as a desirable type.

-       The party people – not so much of this, mostly because we have to get up so early in the morning and alcohol is not conducive to good riding.  But you can see some would like to do this a lot more.

-       The social networkers – again not as many of these as I expected. But some, like Little Bill, try to be friends with everyone.  But over time they have toned things down and I think they are well liked for their efforts.

 

But beyond these and maybe a few other types, most of us kind of do our own thing without artifice, being our true selves, but always being respectful of others and not causing waves.  Most of us (myself included) simply let the relationships happen as they will.  For most, again including me, I think things have worked out pretty well and we simply enjoy the group.  As I said, largely a mature group of secure, intelligent people, bound together by a strong common interest, a common goal – a good way to get a strong, cohesive group.

 

(Note; the positive group dynamics is also fostered by having a homogenous social background – in this case white, prosperous, well educated, mostly politically and socially moderate to liberal, with little fundamentalist religion.  Such social homogeneity is a good way to get a strong, cohesive group but a bad way to run a large organization or government, where diversity of thought and experience is important for fairness and long term success.)

Niagara Falls lit at night

Niagara Falls lit at night

Comments

1

John,
We finally got to a marina where we have a decent wifi connection and I got a chance to catch up on your blog. Great insights!! You're on the home stretch now. I'll bet that as happy as you might be to be near home that you will miss the travel when you're done. We're in Blind River Marina, North Channel,and will be heading for Drummond Island and the USA in a few days. We're corresponding with Dave R. and hope to see him when we get closer to his neck of the woods. Enjoy the ride.
Ed & Linda

  Ed Brennan Jul 31, 2008 11:54 PM

2

Just catching up...printed three weeks worth for Dad, who is enjoying reading about your journey.

It has been great to see the country through your eyes. I especially like your comments and thoughts. I don't suppose I will ever bike across the US, but Brian and I have seen much of the West from the vantage of the small plane we had for nearly a decade, and the sum is similiar...incredible beauty, vast spaces, and interesting little airfields with accompanying small towns that sound much like the small towns you have ridden through. BTW, if you fly into a little airport, there is almost always a huge, old, gas guzzling car that you can use to "go to town," provided you feed it some more gas.

Hope your journey through New York and New England to the Atlantic goes well!

Nancy

  Nancy Witt Aug 1, 2008 1:00 AM

3

Great pictures and commentaries. Glad all are enjoying biking the East like the rest of the USA, except for the flat tires, computer malfunctions, heat, storms, insignificant food etc. Also glad the group are enjoying each other with friendships being formed and celebrating your birthday at dinner. Many memories resurfacing with your blogs. Thanks

  Helen Aug 1, 2008 3:42 AM

About johnkeith

With my bike in front of our Gardiner, NY cottage, the area where I trained before the trip.

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.