Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

The Gods Must Be Crazy

NAMIBIA | Friday, 28 May 2004 | Views [867]

Bushman of the Kalahari; Namibia

Bushman of the Kalahari; Namibia

We headed back out of the park on our way into Namibia.  The drive was much like a day driving in central Wyoming or Nevada.  But on 500 kilometers of dirt roads!  Of course, there are South African dirt roads which bruise kidneys and loosen fillings; and Namibian dirt which is a smooth as much of the pavement in the States.  But the talc-like dust permeates everything and since we have no air conditioning we must drive with the windows open. You can cruise along at 90-100 kilometers per hour and have plenty of time to button up if another vehicle is approaching since you can see his dust miles away.  But in our entire drive we saw only 12 other cars and nearly half as many donkey carts.

The highlight  of the day was a photo stop at a Bushman trading stand.  I bought a necklace to be polite but  I really just wanted a picture of the San Bushman.  Then, thinking I was cute, I asked him to hold a plastic Coke bottle, a la “The Gods Must be Crazy”.  He knew immediately what I wanted.  So much for unspoiled culture, Margaret Mead.

We camped at Keetmanshoop, Namibia at the Quiver Tree Guest Camp.  Quiver Trees are of the Aloe family and are so named because the Bushman used the hollowed out bark for their quivers.  The camp site was great and we left the fly off the tent so we could see the stars.  The owner keeps four cheetahs for the guests to see – two prime adults, one juvenile and one tame alone with a pet warthog.  He knows of DeWildt but never has been there.

 

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.